Anarchy Column

Breaking down the Green Party platform in Syracuse

Jack Strong | Contributing Photographer

Last Thursday, the Onondaga County Green Party spoke about their goals to provide a unified vision for Syracuse's future.

The next mayor of Syracuse will either reinvigorate the city or oversee its collapse.

Following Stephanie Miner, who hasn’t made much headway in crime, poverty, segregation or a lopsided budget, the stakes have never been higher. And politics will give us solutions as usual — a cutting of services and staff and tax cuts for the wealthy. With bottom-up, people-first politics to nurture Syracuse into the 21st century, the Green Party offers an inspiring way forward.

This November, the Onondaga County Green Party will be running a slate of candidates with a unified policy vision, which was presented to SU students and the surrounding community Thursday.

The Green candidates emphasize a deep understanding of community and progressive solutions that can work. Here are the policy positions that set Greens apart from Democrats — or that Democrats have been forced to pick up due to Green advocacy.

Statewide single-payer healthcare

New York state’s Senate is close to voting to approve a statewide single payer healthcare plan. But this policy didn’t start with a popular presidential campaign by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and recent “Medicare for all push. Greens have spent years organizing to rally support and educate folks about the benefits of the single-payer system.

At the event, mayoral candidate Howie Hawkins pointed out how his 2014 campaign for governor brought the benefits of a single-payer system to light for New York voters. Fellow Green Ursula Rozum led the Campaign for New York Health to mobilize the state to demand access to healthcare. Now, we’re seeing progress.

Community grid for I-81

Interstate 81’s path through Syracuse needs to be repaired or replaced. Since I-81’s original construction tore neighborhoods apart and led to segregation and generational poverty, even mainstream political groups are looking beyond a simple restoration. Building a costly and environmentally hazardous tunnel is no longer an option, leaving the city to choose between a viaduct or community grid replacement.

The community grid could improve access to downtown areas, rebuild local infrastructure and increase foot traffic and community-centered development downtown. The Green Party favors a grid and wants the community to vote on any development initiatives coming in, as well as ensuring affordable public housing. The party would also pursue an ordinance mandating a certain amount of the jobs stemming from development be allotted to locals.

Progressive income tax

Syracuse offers several exemptions from property taxes, so the next administration will likely need to acquire funds in another way. The Greens have proposed a city income tax that has also gained some popularity with the local Democrats.

Many of Syracuse’s highest earners live in wealthy suburbs, which means they pay taxes outside the city but still take advantage of utilities and infrastructure while in Syracuse. Unsurprisingly, the city’s working class have been left to foot the bill.

At Thursday’s event, the Greens proposed taxing income made in the city and introducing revenue sharing with the county to allocate resources according to need. They would also seek to cut sales tax, which disproportionately affects the poor.

Growth of worker-owned co-ops

Frank Cetera, a candidate for the at-large Syracuse Common Council position, spoke about his experience with co-ops and their use going forward.

A co-op is an employee-owned business in which all employees have a say in how their workplace is run. Co-ops can provide better work environments and better respond to community needs. Syracuse Greens have experience with local food co-ops and federal credit unions. Greens would promote the growth of co-ops by prioritizing them in standard issuing of city contracts and encourage SU to source such items as food from co-ops as well.

Sam Norton is a senior advertising and psychology dual major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at [email protected].