Syracuse Mayoral Race 2017

4 remaining Syracuse mayoral candidates discuss schools, I-81 at first general election debate

Philip Bryant | Contributing Photographer

The remaining four candidates in the Syracuse mayoral race participated in a debate aired by WRVO Monday night.

The four candidates for Syracuse mayor clashed on city school issues and generally repeated previously-stated stances on police hiring and regional job opportunities in the first general election debate, which aired Monday night on WRVO.

Democrat Juanita Perez Williams, Republican Laura Lavine, independent Ben Walsh and Green Party candidate Howie Hawkins participated in the debate, moderated by Grant Reeher, a Syracuse University political science professor and director of the Campbell Public Affairs Institute.

Perez Williams and Lavine disagreed on mayoral control over the Syracuse City School District.

Lavine, who says she wants to institute mayoral control over the SCSD, would select the school board with the advice and consent of the Common Council.

“One person — I will be responsible for and accountable for what goes on,” Lavine said.

She said such “bold” action is needed because the graduation rate in Syracuse schools is only about 60 percent and the SCSD has the worst SAT scores among 50 upstate New York school districts.

Perez Williams said Lavine could improve the school district without being a “dictator.” Perez Williams added she would bring people together to make decisions in a “democratic way.”

On the plans to repair or replace the Interstate 81 viaduct, Perez Williams, Hawkins and Walsh said they were in favor of the community grid option. If implemented, the community grid option would eliminate the overpass and disperse traffic on existing city streets.

Lavine said she supported a hybrid community grid and tunnel or depressed highway replacement option.

The current I-81 replacement plans are unclear.

If New York state moves forward with the viaduct alternative proposal — which would demolish the existing overpass and replace it with a wider viaduct — Walsh, Perez Williams and Hawkins said they would fight the decision.

Lavine said she would make the case for her stakeholders’ best interests but that she didn’t think enough information about the I-81 plans had been released.

Walsh and Perez Williams said they would also push back against President Donald Trump’s policies, if necessary.

Current Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner has vocally opposed some of Trump’s decisions in the past, including his original travel ban and his plans to cut federal funds to “sanctuary cities.”

“I’m always going to stand up for what’s right and for what’s most important for the city of Syracuse,” Walsh said. “I think that the key is to make sure you do it in a respectful way.”

Lavine said she would focus “on what our residents need and not be distracted by anything  else.”

Hawkins said Trump was “hopeless” but that he would focus on local and state politics as mayor.

The candidates repeated previously stated stances on police hiring and the relationship between the Syracuse Police Department and the community.

Perez Williams and Lavine both said they would implement community policing policies, where officers work to build relationships with Syracuse residents to help deter crime.

Hawkins said fighting poverty would help deter crime and improve Syracuse schools.

Walsh agreed that he would attack the causes of poverty in the city, including housing, segregation and jobs.

He also said he would propose the creation of a youth jobs program that would partner with local businesses to create internships.

The candidates concluded the debate by discussing ways they might restructure the city’s governing institutions.

Walsh said he would try to get citizens involved in the creation of legislation through “civic engagement.”

Hawkins said he would attempt to implement proportional representation on the city council. He added he would introduce a “community broadband” utility where residents could view hearings and school board and Common Council meetings.

Perez Williams said she would make sure City Hall is available and accessible for all and that she would work on introducing early voting.

Lavine said she would combine the city and county industrial development agencies and ban “pay-to-play” in politics.