Syracuse-LSU game set for a Saturday night, primetime kickoff

Ben Castaneda, a former Syracuse student, taunts LSU's mascot when the two teams played one another in the Carrier Dome in 2015.

UPDATED: Sept. 11, 2017 at 11:27 p.m.

Syracuse will be playing No.12 Louisiana State under the lights in “Death Valley,” the Southeastern Conference announced on Monday. The game on Sept. 23 will begin either at 7:00 p.m. or 7:30 p.m., on ESPN2 or ESPNU on the SEC Network, respectively.

The final start time and network assignment will be determined after this weekend’s games.

SU and LSU have met three times prior, with the Tigers holding a 2-1 series lead. The last meeting between the two squads took place in 2015 when then-No. 8 LSU visited the Carrier Dome. In the game, a Zack Mahoney led Orange team nearly upset Leonard Fournette and LSU, but SU ultimately lost, 34-24.

Syracuse’s only victory against the Tigers came in 1989, when SU won 23-10 behind 122 rushing yards and two touchdowns from Robert Drummond.

Before SU heads south to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, it will look to rebound from it’s 30-23 loss against Middle Tennessee State when it takes on Central Michigan in the Dome at 3:30 p.m on Sept. 16.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, Zack Mahoney was misnamed. The Daily Orange regrets this error.