Paralyzed Veterans of America awards Syracuse University program for leadership in employing veterans with disabilities

According to a report by the United States' Joint Economic Committee, more than a quarter of post-9/11 veterans in the labor force have a service-related disability.

The Institute for Veterans and Military Families, headquartered at Syracuse University, was recently awarded for its leadership in employment of veterans with disabilities.

The Paralyzed Veterans of America recognized the IVMF with The Employ: ABLE award on Sept. 19 in Washington, D.C., specifically for the organization’s programs that employ veterans with disabilities.

IVMF officials run programs for veterans and their families across the United States. The IVMF was founded at SU by Michael Haynie, executive director of the IVMF and an SU vice chancellor.

“For PVA to recognize the IVMF for its work — particularly related to how we are working to empower and support this generation of military veterans with disabilities through the programs that we run — I think for us it’s a tremendous honor, and it’s a recognition of the good work that we’re doing here,” Haynie said.

Haynie said “conservatively,” 30 percent of veterans who served post-9/11 and returned to civilian life have a service-related disability.

More than a quarter of post-9/11 veterans in the labor force have a service-related disability, according to a report by the United States Congress’ Joint Economic Committee.

“One thing that I think our university should be proud of is, last year alone, about 25,000 military members who were leaving the military, as well as veterans and military spouses and children, went through programs run by this institute,” Haynie said.

Haynie created an entrepreneurship boot camp program for veterans with disabilities when he first started working at SU 10 years ago. Now, that program runs at 10 other college campuses across the country under the direction of the IVMF.

That type of program distinguished the IVMF for PVA’s award, Haynie said.

SU created the entrepreneurship program for veterans with disabilities because it is difficult for veterans to transition back to civilian life, said both Haynie and Tracey Shifflett, director of communications and external affairs for PVA. Injuries and disabilities bar veterans from traditional jobs, Haynie said.

“After they are able to physically care for themselves, there is a lack of focus and a lack of direction after service because they were trained to be soldiers,” Shifflett said. “What they find is they still want to serve, and they don’t always have the opportunities they did in the military. They can be difficult to place in civilian jobs for that reason.”

The entrepreneurship program for veterans with disabilities was created because business ownership is a way to dictate accommodations for those disabilities.

Moving forward, IVMF officials hope the PVA’s award draws attention so the organization can reach a broader spectrum of veterans and military-related people with disabilities, Haynie said.

“There are over 40,000 veterans service organizations in the country,” said Stephanie Salanger, director of communications for IVMF and SU’s Office of Veteran and Military Affairs. “Awards like this help us be recognized and be elevated among the best of the best.”

PVA was established by post-World War II veterans with spinal cord injuries and diseases related to service, Shifflett said. Haynie added that it is an honor to be awarded by such a well-respected veterans organization.

“Our veterans are not disabled,” Salanger said. “They are able with the support and embrace of organizations like IVMF.”