Gannon’s Isle Ice Cream closes downtown location

Gannon's Isle Ice Cream opened four official locations since beginning as an ice cream stand in 1982. Gannon's was awarded “Best Ice Cream” by Syracuse New Times every year since the start of the award in 2000.

UPDATED: Sept. 5 at 11:36 p.m.

Gannon’s Isle Ice Cream closed its downtown shop on Jefferson Street after about four years at the location, per Syracuse.com. The shop was open seasonally around May to the end of the summer.

There have been no announcements regarding opening a new location to replace the one that just closed. But, the business isn’t new to opening more locations — there have been four official locations opened since its beginnings as an ice cream stand in 1982. The most recent Gannon’s opened at Destiny Mall USA in November 2016 and is open year-round, according to Gannon’s website.

The main location on Valley Drive will remain open until the holiday season and the stand at Shady Brook is closed for the season, according to Gannon’s website.

Gannon’s is a favorite among central New Yorkers, having won more than a dozen awards for their frozen dairy accomplishments. The Syracuse New Times awarded Gannon’s “Best Ice Cream” every year since the start of the award in 2000. The Post Standard recognized the local business’ achievements and awarded Gannon’s with the title of “Best of CNY, Best Place to Get Ice Cream” in 2011, according to its website.

With more than 35 years of history the family business has shown its resilience. Gannon’s has yet to release a statement addressing why it closed.

Anthony Fiacchi, general manager of Fabio’s Antica Cucina, neighboring restaurant, said he doesn’t think the close was because of a lack of business.

“(Business) is encouraging because of the amount of people living down here,” Fiacchi said.

The story has been updated for appropriate style.