Ervin Philips breaks ACC single-game receptions record in 33-25 loss at NC State

Alexandra Moreo | Photo Editor

In Syracuse's first three games of the season, Ervin Philips had 16 receptions for 139 yards. On Saturday, Philips beat that total with 17 receptions and 188 yards.

RALEIGH, N.C. — Syracuse senior Ervin Philips finished with 17 catches and 188 yards Saturday afternoon, breaking the program and Atlantic Coast Conference single-game receptions records.

In a 33-25 loss at North Carolina State (4-1, 2-0 Atlantic Coast), Syracuse (2-3, 0-1) went down 26-7 at the half. Despite a second-half comeback attempt, the Orange could not reach the Wolfpack and dropped its second straight game. Penalties doomed SU, which could not contain the dangerous N.C. State front seven.

Meanwhile, Philips shined. He said before the season that he wanted to be “the best receiver in the ACC.” He had a career-high 188 receiving yards Saturday, finding space mostly over the middle of the field against a linebacker.

“When I see a linebacker on me anytime,” Philips said. “I love it.”

“I feel like I’ve got an advantage against a linebacker,” Philips added. “Coach saw that early, that they were putting him on me, and we just kept going to me. They depended on me to make a play and win my one-on-one matchups.”

SU junior quarterback Eric Dungey finished with 385 yards passing, nearly half of which went to Philips on short post and drag routes.

Philips said he entered Saturday not knowing the middle would be as open as it was. North Carolina State rushed Dungey often, totaling three sacks and six QB hurries, leaving short passes over the middle as fertile ground for Dungey and the offense. Philips recognized the space early.

Dungey has completed 28 passes to Philips over the last two games, including 11 pfor 93 yards and a touchdown last week at then-No. 25 Louisiana State. Over the first three games of the season, Philips had only 16 combined catches for 139 yards. He surpassed his total through SU’s first three games on Saturday alone.

“I just want to stay consistent,” Philips said. “I know I’m capable of performances like this.”