3 things to know about Matchbox Twenty before their Syracuse performance

Courtesy of Atlantic Records

Matchbox Twenty, the group behind the alternative-grunge hits like “Push” and “3AM,” will be playing at the Lakeview Amphitheater this Saturday.

Updated: Sept. 10 at 10:33 p.m.

You definitely know Matchbox Twenty, even if you can’t explicitly name their songs. Their ‘90s alternative-grunge hits including “Push” and “3AM” have that definitively ‘90s sound that populates alternative rock radio stations everywhere. They’re still making music, and they’ll be playing a show at Lakeview Amphitheater this Saturday with Counting Crows. Here’s what you need to know about Matchbox Twenty before heading out.

Matchbox Twenty and Counting Crows are super tight

Last summer, Matchbox Twenty frontman Rob Thomas performed with Counting Crows across the United States, including an Aug. 12 show at the Lakeview Amphitheater. The tour was so fun that Counting Crows vocalist Adam Duritz said in a statement that they want to tour together every summer until they stop playing shows. Thomas echoed that thought: “no matter what I will ever do, nothing feels like home as much as playing these songs with these guys, and it never will,” he said in a statement. “And I can’t wait to spend another summer out there on the road with the Crows.”

Rob Thomas is an army brat

Born at a military base in Germany, Thomas spent a chunk of his youth moving from place to place. He did spend a fair amount of time with his grandmother in South Carolina and his mother in Florida. The stress of moving constantly led him to drop out of high school. But then he moved to Florida and played with various bands, where he met future Matchbox Twenty bassist Brian Yale and drummer Paul Doucette. Sometime later they connected with guitarists Adam Gaynor and Kyle Cook.

… and he stole a car once

At age 17 — the same year he dropped out of school — he spent two months in jail for stealing a Chevrolet Camaro. He grew up rough, doing acid and cocaine, which some casual fans find surprising because Matchbox Twenty’s music is softer than a lot of drug-influenced 1990s grunge.