Vigil commemorates victims of child abuse as part of National Child Abuse Prevention Month

Jordan Phelps | Staff Photographer

Monira Alozaime, who works at the District Attorney’s office, and her son attend a candlelight vigil honoring children whose lives were taken away by abuse, neglect and crime at Hendricks Chapel on Tuesday.

Lights went dim inside Hendricks Chapel as the Syracuse University a capella group Otto Tunes hummed a tune on the stage. About 60 people sitting in pews, holding lit candles, either stared waving their candles or looked straight toward the stage as they remembered children whose lives were taken away by abuse, neglect and crime.

The annual Go Blue 4 Kids Candlelight Vigil, organized by the local non-profit McMahon/Ryan Child Advocacy Center and the Onondaga County Crime Victims’ Rights Coalition, took place at Hendricks Chapel on Tuesday night. The candlelight vigil was second time the organization held the event to commemorate, said Colleen Merced, associate director of the advocacy center.

“I think it’s a moment to not only be in solidarity with survivors but I also look at that light as being a light for hope and a healing as well,” said Jolie Moran, an attendee and outreach and advocacy program coordinator at Vera House, a local organization seeking to end domestic and sexual violence.

The vigil — organized to honor National Child Abuse Prevention Month — is an opportunity for people to not only recognize and honor the victims and survivors, but also to think forward to “change the culture” and prevent abuse and neglect from happening, Moran said.

Linda Cleary, executive director of the McMahon/Ryan Child Advocacy Center, gave introductory remarks at the beginning of the vigil around 6:30 p.m. During her speech, she said that one in 10 children will be sexually abused before they turn 18 and reminded the audience that those could be immediate family members, relatives or friends.

Child abuse is “a far bigger problem” than people give attention, Cleary said.

“The first 18 years of a child’s life should be filled with daddy’s piggyback rides, dirt under her tiny fingernails and skinned knees healed by a kiss from mom,” Cleary said. “But too often you hear stories of horrific physical and sexual abuse.”

The number of abused and maltreated children in Onondaga County went up from 1,781 in 2010 to 1,830 in 2015, according to the New York state’s Kids’ Well-being Indicators Clearinghouse website. Statewide, though, the number of children decreased from 79,668 to 69,403 within the same period.

Merced then spoke to the attendees. This year’s vigil theme — strength, resilience and justice — shows the vision for a future where victims feel strengthened with responses they receive, organizations supporting and advocating on behalf of the victims to be resilient and respond to challenges and communities to see collective justice, Merced said.

Those at the event took a moment to recognize victim assistance professionals within organizations and law enforcement personnel seeking justices.

Maureen Foran-Mocete, outreach and education program coordinator at the advocacy center, and Syracuse Police Department detective Clark Farry received the 2017 Advocate 4 Children Award.

Monira Alozaime, who works at the District Attorney’s office, attended the vigil with her son to take a moment to remember those whose lives were lost because of crime.

“I just try to remember specific people that I’ve lost as a result of a crime, just remember their memories, feel their presence,” she said.

Merced said after the vigil that people can assist victims and survivors by being compassionate.

Moran expressed her hope that one day advocates like herself might not have to do the job.

“Although we love what we do, if meant that both children and other victims were not being victimized, we would be in a different place,” she said.