The Syracuse basketball fan’s rooting guide for Friday’s bubble games

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Syracuse fans should root for Connecticut, a team SU lost to 52-50 in December at Madison Square Garden.

Thursday’s bubble games didn’t go too well for Syracuse, with Kansas State upsetting No. 9 Baylor, Xavier upsetting No. 18 Butler, and California and Vanderbilt both winning their conference tournament games. ESPN’s Joe Lunardi still has the Orange as one of the last four teams in the NCAA Tournament, and there is a bevy of relevant bubble games on Friday for SU fans to keep an eye on.

Here they are, with which team the stressed-out Syracuse fan should root for.

UTEP vs. Middle Tennessee, 12:30 p.m., CBS Sports Network

UTEP was the only team to knock off the Blue Raiders in conference play. All bubble teams are hoping MTSU coasts to the Conference USA championship and locks up an NCAA Tournament spot that way instead of forcing the committee to decide if it deserves an at-large bid.

Whom SU fans should root for: Middle Tennessee

Georgia vs. No. 8 Kentucky, 1 p.m., SEC Network

The Bulldogs are presumably within comfortable distance that Syracuse doesn’t have to lose sleep over its result in this one, but a win over a Top 10 Wildcats team would make things interesting. Lunardi currently has UGA as his fifth team outside the field and Georgia would certainly make a jump toward the fence if it knocks off Kentucky.

Whom SU fans should root for: Kentucky

St. Bonaventure vs. Rhode Island, 2:30 p.m., NBC Sports Network

Rhode Island might be the team closest to Syracuse on the bubble. URI received a bye to the Atlantic 10 quarterfinals, where it faces Syracuse native Denzel Gregg and St. Bonaventure. At 21-9, the Rams seemingly have a decent chance to make the field with a win in this one. SU hopes that record is 21-10 late this afternoon.

Whom SU fans should root for: St. Bonaventure

No. 24 Wisconsin vs. Indiana, 6:30 p.m., Big Ten Network

The Hoosiers are creeping into the bubble picture after a 22-point win over Iowa in the Big Ten tournament second round on Thursday. A win over a ranked Badgers team would thrust them into the conversation even more, especially since this tournament stretch is coming without star player OG Anunoby.

Whom SU fans should root for: Wisconsin

chrisitan

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

TCU vs. No. 23 Iowa State, 7 p.m., ESPN2

The Horned Frogs are suddenly on bracketologists’ radars after knocking off the No. 1 team in the Big 12 and the country Thursday in an 85-82 win over Kansas. Jamie Dixon, the former Pitt coach who gave SU nightmares, quietly has TCU in place for a potential 20-win season if it can upset another ranked team in the Cyclones.

Whom SU fans should root for: Iowa State 

California vs. No. 5 Oregon, 9 p.m.

This is one of the more important games for Orange fans to watch, as the Bears victory over Utah in the Pac 12 quarterfinals Thursday moved them from Lunardi’s “Next Four Out” to “First Four Out.” A win against one of the best teams in the country would only catapult Cuonzo Martin’s team closer to Syracuse, if not above the Orange.

Whom SU fans should root for: Oregon

Kansas State vs. No. 11 West Virginia, 9 p.m., ESPN2

This is another tilt right up there in importance for SU. The Wildcats knocking off No. 9 Baylor slid them from Lunardi’s “First Four Out” to “Last Four In,” and another upset would certainly vault them above the Orange in most projections.

Whom SU fans should root for: West Virginia

Connecticut vs. Houston, 9 p.m., ESPNU

Syracuse fans rooting for the Huskies? Yep. Especially with the Cougars at 21-9 and 12-6 in conference play, a win would move Houston from Lunardi’s “First Four Out” to possibly his “Last Four In.” Houston has already beat UConn twice this season, so Orange fans hope the third time is a charm for one of its worst losses this year.

Whom SU fans should root for: Connecticut