Student Association

The Daily Orange, CitrusTV to moderate SA presidential election debate

Zach Barlow | Staff Photographer

Candidates for the 60th Legislative Session debate at a Student Association sponsored event.

The Daily Orange and CitrusTV will be hosting a Student Association presidential debate on Sunday.

The debate will take place on Sunday at 7 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium in Newhouse 3. Michael Burke, The Daily Orange’s news editor, and Alex Amico, CitrusTV news anchor, will be moderating the hour-long debate.

The debate will be streamed online at dailyorange.com and CitrusTV.com and shown on the Orange Television Network, channel 14.1.

Two pairs of presidential and vice presidential candidates — James Franco and Angie Pati, and Tyler Rossi and Roy Tin — have announced their candidacy for SA’s 61st Legislative Session.

This is the first time the two media organizations have jointly organized a Student Association presidential debate.

“As the governing body of more than 14,000 undergraduate students, Student Association plays an important role on the Syracuse University campus,” said Justin Mattingly, The Daily Orange’s editor in chief. “The president and vice president of SA are two of the most notable student leaders on campus and given that, we felt it was necessary to provide an outlet for debate as part of the upcoming elections. We’re excited to partner with CitrusTV to ensure the debate reaches all interested parties and look forward to what we hope to be a night of strong discourse with ideas that will benefit the student body.”

The SA elections will take place between April 17 and 20.

The debate will touch on topics related to campus life, resources, safety, outreach and student programing. Viewers of the debate can submit questions for the candidates before and during the debate via Twitter, using the hashtag #SADebate.

“The Student Association’s actions affect every student on campus, so it’s important that students make an informed choice when electing these members,” said Nick Ross, CitrusTV general manager. “By holding a debate that is open to the public as well as broadcast on television and the internet, we ensure that as many people as possible can hear the candidates’ platforms.”