Syracuse’s NIT matchup against UNC Greensboro postponed to Wednesday night

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Syracuse's 41-year head coach Jim Boeheim will coach his first NIT game since 2008.

Syracuse’s opening-round National Invitation Tournament game against North Carolina-Greensboro has been postponed to Wednesday at 7 p.m. and will be shown on ESPN3, SU athletics announced. The game was originally set for Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Carrier Dome, and set to broadcast on ESPN.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency for all of New York beginning on Tuesday. Between 12 and 18 inches of snow are projected to fall in Syracuse through Tuesday, per Weather.com. Syracuse University announced Tuesday morning it would be operating on a limited status and said “only essential services personnel should report to campus.”

Said SU athletics in a statement: “After consultation with Onondaga County and City of Syracuse authorities, as well as the NCAA, and with fan and participant safety the top priority, tonight’s NIT game between Syracuse and UNCG has been postponed. It will be played Wednesday, March 15, at 7 p.m. ESPN3 will carry the game.”

The No. 1 seed Orange (18-14, 10-8 Atlantic Coast) narrowly missed the cut for the NCAA Tournament while the No. 8 seed Spartans (25-9, 14-4 Southern) won the SoCon regular season title but not the conference tournament.

The winner of SU-UNCG will face the winner of No. 4 seed Monmouth and No. 5 seed Mississippi. The date and time for second-round matchups haven’t been announced.