Onondaga County to introduce animal abuser registry

Daily Orange File Illustration

About 6.5 million pets are taken into animal shelters nationwide every year, according to The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Onondaga County is looking to create animal abuser registry in an effort to stop animal cruelty, County Sheriff Eugene Conway said on Monday.

The registry, which would be filed and maintained by the sheriff’s office, would be established through legislation in the Onondaga County Legislature, according to Syracuse.com. Individuals on the registry would not be allowed to possess, own, purchase or adopt animals for “a defined period of time” set by a judge.

“Animal cruelty is a serious problem,” Conway said Monday, according to Syracuse.com. “Animal abuse and cruelty continues to occur in Onondaga County and elsewhere.”

An individual found guilty of an animal abuse crime would be required to give their name, date of birth, address and a photo to be included in the registry, Conway said in the press conference, according to Syracuse.com. In case of the individual changing names and relocating, the person needs to notify changes.

Animal shelters and pet shops would be also required to check the registry, Conway said. He added that not abiding by rules pertaining to the registry would result in penalties.

If this measure were approved, Syracuse would be the first animal registry in central New York, according to Syracuse.com.

“Animals in need of homes need to be protected by potential abusers,” Conway said.

County Legislator Danny Liedka told Syracuse.com the measure that would create the registry is likely to be voted on in summer. He also said he expects it to pass.

“I would be shocked if someone opposed this,” Liedka told Syracuse.com. “I think both sides of the aisle are pet lovers.”