New course on Donald Trump announced and other news you may have missed today

Frankie Prijatel | Senior Staff Photographer

From announcing his candidacy for president to being inaugurated, Donald Trump has become a fixture in American pop culture.

Here are some Syracuse news stories and announcements that you might have missed on Wednesday:

Course on Trump to be offered

SU’s College of Visual and Performing Arts will be offering a new course in the fall semester during which students will study President Donald Trump from a rhetorical and pop culture perspective. Kendall Phillips, professor within communication and rhetorical studies department who studies contemporary rhetorical theory and criticism, will be teaching the course, according to an SU News release.

The course, called CRS 360: “Rhetoric and Popular Culture,” will examine Trump, a former reality television star who did not hold public office before being elected.

“We have had presidents who had celebrity status—Ronald Reagan was a movie star after all,” Phillips said in the release. “We’ve also had presidents who continued to be celebrities during their time in office. So this course will explore various aspects of popular culture as they relate to the Trump presidency—celebrity culture, social media, social protest and the very nature of the presidency as a kind of celebrity status.”

Syracuse firefighter suspended without pay after hit and run

A Syracuse firefighter, Edward Ackerman, was suspended in connection to a hit and run that critically injured an 18-year-old boy, the city announced on Wednesday.

Ackerman is a 13-year veteran of the city fire department. His suspension implicates him as one of the people that police believe to have known about the hit and run who didn’t report it, CNYCentral reported.

The firefighter is the president of the Pastime Athletic Club, where the car that allegedly hit Seth Collier was found on Tuesday morning. Peter Rauch, 36, was charged and pleaded not guilty to leaving the scene of a serious personal injury accident on Wednesday.

A witness who said they were riding in the front seat of the car with Rauch identified him, and police said he fled the scene on foot after parking the car in the club parking lot, per CNYCentral.

Applications for ambassador program due Thursday

Applications for the Office of Off-Campus and Commuter Services’ community ambassador program for the 2017-18 academic year are due Thursday.

Community ambassadors provide access to resources and serve as a point of contact for off-campus students in need of support, among other things, according to an SU News release. They are also responsible for hosting programs on a variety of topics, including alcohol education, financial literacy and healthy eating.

“As a CA, helping these students adjust and engage with the community has been an unforgettable and rewarding experience,” said Tina Zheng, a current CA and a senior in Martin J. Whitman School of Management, in the release.