Former Wyoming defensive coordinator Steve Stanard to join Syracuse football coaching staff

Tony D. Curtis | Staff Photographer

Steve Stanard is the first addition to Dino Babers' staff since the departure of two assistants.

Former Wyoming defensive coordinator Steve Stanard is joining the Syracuse football coaching staff. Syracuse.com first reported the hiring.

The new coach’s position is currently unknown, but Stanard has experience coaching defense, specifically the front-seven. The hire comes 11 days after the departure of former linebackers coach and special teams coordinator Tom Kaufman.

Stanard is the first hire for SU after two assistants — Kaufman and running backs coach Mike Hart — departed.

Stanard brings in nearly three decades of coaching experience, including stops at Ohio State and FCS powerhouse North Dakota State. He was most recently the defensive coordinator for Wyoming, spending the past three seasons in Laramie.

A hallmark of Stanard’s defense for the Cowboys in 2016 was forcing turnovers. Wyoming was tied for 10th in the country with 27 turnovers — 12 fumbles recovered and 15 passes intercepted. Five of those turnovers were returned for touchdowns. Syracuse was tied for 67th nationally in turnovers gained.

Syracuse opens the 2017 season against Central Connecticut State in the Carrier Dome on Sept. 1.