Walk-on Adrian Autry Jr. embraces role as ‘Handshake Guy’

Colin Davy | Asst. Photo Editor

Adrian Autry Jr. calls himself the King of the Handshake

It all started one day while stretching before a preseason practice last season. Adrian Autry Jr. knew he wouldn’t receive much playing time as a walk-on for Syracuse, so he thought of a way to contribute even if it wouldn’t be during the game.

Autry asked senior Michael Gbinije for a position only one person on the team could hold. He wanted to be the Orange’s Handshake Guy.

“I’m a pretty funny guy and everyone’s cool with me,” Autry said, “I just thought that I could have something, have a little pregame ritual.”

The season before, Autry started regularly at nearby Jamesville-DeWitt (New York) High School. That meant he couldn’t be the one coordinating handshakes when the public address announcer called out starters. But at Syracuse (16-9, 8-4 Atlantic Coast), Autry’s found a new role. The sophomore calls himself, “King of the Handshakes.”

Ron Patterson served as the Orange’s previous Handshake Guy, but he transferred to IUPUI following the 2014-15 season and created the vacancy. In his second year in the role, Autry has taken inspiration from popular culture, Twitter, YouTube videos, professional athletes and even childhood games.

“We all just bounce ideas off each other,” Autry said.

His handshake with former wing Malachi Richardson changed on a game-by-game basis depending on trends.  The handshake always began the same way and ended differently. Sometimes they’d slap high-five twice. Other times, they’d do the running man.

Before every contest, Trevor Cooney played Autry in a game of rock, paper, scissors. Autry intentionally lost every time by throwing scissors while Cooney threw rock.

“Can’t beat him and smash his confidence before the game,” Autry said.

This season, Autry has continued honing his craft.

Freshman forward Taurean Thompson mimics a Twitter video he and Autry saw of rapper Kodak Black cradling his fists side-to-side. The pair later saw Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson among the many athletes doing the dance and wanted to join in.

“It’s taking the nation by storm, man,” Thompson said. “… It just gets me pumped up, man.”

Tyler Lydon, Autry’s roommate, puts his index finger to his mouth showing a “Shhh” sign when he gets introduced. He said he has “no idea” where it came from, but the two have stuck with it all season. Lydon later brought the move into the game three weeks ago after a deep jumper cut UNC’s lead to 10.

At the end of Tyus Battle’s handshake, he and Autry put their fists together in front of their chests and pretend to rip open their shirts like Clark Kent. Battle used to do “the eat” in high school by scooping food into his mouth with invisible silverware. Autry came up with the Superman idea and Battle wanted to switch things up.

Throughout most of the season, John Gillon has performed a handshake in which he’d punch toward his left knee twice, imitating New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. Gillon switched it up before Florida State because “sometimes we turn our swag down,” Autry said. But the two quickly turned “the swag” back up and returned to the Beckham tribute. Autry said Gillon’s celebration is the “most hype” since the announcer introduces the point guard last.

“My favorite one probably is,” Autry said, before hesitating, “they’re all pretty fire.”

Except for Autry’s handshake with Andrew White.

The transfer from Nebraska said he doesn’t like to be flashy. When his name gets called, he simply walks toward Autry, daps him up and they hug. The most boring of the greetings has no meaning. White likes it that way.

“If he scripted up something I’d maybe do it if it wasn’t anything too flashy,” White said, “but otherwise I was just good with a regular handshake.”

Autry watches with the rest of Syracuse’s walk-ons while opponents’ starters are introduced. They gather once both teams finish and debate which team had the better moves. Autry said he’s won every game of his career, except against Pittsburgh last season. Panthers forward Jamel Artis, who has averaged 18 points in his last four matchups against Syracuse, was one of the players to beat the Orange in the pregame handshakes.

Though Autry couldn’t help stop Artis on the court, he’s found a way to help on game days.

“I’m always hype for every game,” Autry said, “so whenever I’m going through those handshakes, it’s just getting my mind ready for the game because I know it’s about to be game time.”