Beat writers see one clear winner for Syracuse-N.C. State

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Tyler Lydon leads Syracuse against maybe the toughest player it'll face all season, a potential no. 1 NBA Draft pick.

Coming off its biggest win of the season against then-No. 6 Florida State, Syracuse (13-9, 5-4 Atlantic Coast) travels to take on North Carolina State (14-8, 3-6) at 7 p.m. on Wednesday. The Wolfpack is coming off a 25-point point loss to then-No. 13 Louisville.

Here’s what The Daily Orange beat writers think will happen against N.C. State.

Connor Grossman (13-9)

On the prowl

Syracuse 79, N.C. State 70

Syracuse has offered zero evidence this season that it’s going to win a game away from the Carrier Dome. The odds will be against SU doing it until the Orange actually does it. So what does Syracuse have going for it? A win over then-No. 6 Florida State doesn’t hurt momentum. But SU’s defense played as well in the first half of that game as it has all season. Jim Boeheim said on Monday he thinks the Orange has cured the widespread problems that plagued it on the road this season. Will it be enough against N.C. State and stud freshman Dennis Smith Jr.? Boeheim doesn’t know, but I do: Syracuse claims its first road victory of the season on Wednesday night.

Matt Schneidman (10-12)

First time for everything

Syracuse 75, N.C. State 70

The Orange hasn’t won on the road yet this season, and freshman stud Dennis Smith Jr. will try to keep that trend going when Syracuse comes to town on Wednesday night. The possible No. 1 NBA Draft pick averages 18.3 points, 6.5 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game and Syracuse probably won’t have anyone who can completely take him out of the game. But somehow, a combination of John Gillon, Frank Howard and Tyus Battle does just enough and Syracuse gets its elusive first win away from the Carrier Dome to stretch is winning streak to three games.

Paul Schwedelson (14-8)

Oneman wolfpack

Syracuse 72, N.C. State 69

The key for Syracuse is stopping Dennis Smith Jr. He’s right up there with the best freshmen in the country and scored 32 at Duke a week ago. When he’s on the court, 29.3 percent of N.C. State’s possessions end with a Smith make, miss that lands in the opposition’s hands or a turnover, per Kenpom.com. That percentage ranks 70th in the nation and third in the ACC. If the Orange can stop him, it could be in for a treat. And in conference games against non-Top 25 opponents, SU is 5-2. It’s about time SU cracks through away from the Dome.