Beat writers see a clear winner for Syracuse-Duke game

Daily Orange file photo

Syracuse, just like last season, finds itself looking in from the outside at the NCAA Tournament hopefuls.

After losing three straight games, Syracuse (16-12, 8-7 Atlantic Coast) has an opportunity to improve its NCAA Tournament chances against Duke (22-5, 10-4) Wednesday night in the Carrier Dome. The Blue Devils are riding a seven-game win streak, most recently defeating Wake Forest, 99-94.

Here’s how The Daily Orange beat writers think the game will unfold.

Connor Grossman (15-13)
Blue balled
Duke 74, Syracuse 63

As tempting as it was to predict another stunner in the Carrier Dome, Syracuse proved it was mortal (barely) by losing in overtime to Louisville. SU will keep it close and tease at another upset for most of the night, but its tournament hopes are essentially laid to rest with a fourth consecutive loss and two regular season games remaining. Duke enters Wednesday night as winners of seven straight, wielding a high-powered offense that will dismantle the Orange’s zone. Expect one of the best atmospheres the Dome has seen this year — just don’t expect a Syracuse win.

Matt Schneidman (13-15)
Tripped up
Duke 81, Syracuse 72

Mike Krzyzewski’s team has won seven in a row, and the Blue Devils look like the national title contender they came into the season projected as. Freshman Jayson Tatum and junior Grayson Allen are firing on all cylinders, and Duke is just too high-powered for this sluggish Syracuse defense to stop. On Wednesday in the Carrier Dome, the Blue Devils will get out to a sizable second-half lead, and this time there are no comebacks to be had.

Paul Schwedelson (17-11)
Playing like dookie
Duke 76, Syracuse 54

Syracuse hasn’t been blown out since mid-January, but after suffering three straight losses, SU’s struggles have cropped up once again. The Blue Devils are the hottest they’ve been all season with seven straight wins and every contributor healthy. Duke began the year as the top-ranked team in the AP poll for a reason. Now that the Blue Devils have finally hit their stride, Syracuse faces another opponent it can’t match up against. Except this time, for the first time in a while, the Orange will get blown out.