Beat writers offer split predictions for Syracuse-Clemson matchup

Tyler Roberson has been a vocal point of SU's defense in this recent stretch.

Syracuse (15-9, 7-4 Atlantic Coast) takes on Clemson (13-9, 3-7) on the road in its next matchup. A win extends Syracuse’s streak to five straight.

Here’s how our beat writers think the game will unfold.

Connor Grossman (14-10)
On the rise
Syracuse 76, Clemson 62

All three of our predictions are vastly different, an emblematic sign of a completely unpredictable season. But right now, Syracuse is streaking. Beating two ranked opponents and collecting the season’s first road win in the last two weeks has the Orange primed to squash a Clemson team that just lost by 48 to Florida State. Jaron Blossomgame and his 17.7 points per game is going to give SU’s defense fits, and the Tigers have hung close with ACC elites North Carolina, Notre Dame and Virginia. Timing is everything, though. With one team rising up the conference standings while the other is on its way down, Syracuse pushes Clemson down a bit further with a convincing win.

Matt Schneidman (11-13)
900
Syracuse 74, Clemson 70

The Orange is rolling and starting to pop back up in NCAA Tournament bubble talks. Clemson is square on the fence for the 68-team field as well, so the winner here presumably gains an edge over the other. While the Orange’s road defense has been horrific, SU starts to turn a corner here and holds the Tigers to “only” 70. Andrew White makes it five straight games with 20-plus points and Tyler Lydon gets back on track in the scoring column as Jim Boeheim picks up official win No. 900.

Paul Schwedelson (15-9)
No Deshaun, no problem
Clemson 64, Syracuse 63
The Orange’s only road win this season took an extra five-minute period and 43 points from John Gillon. I’m not sold that one game has completely solved SU’s issues away from the Carrier Dome, and Clemson isn’t as bad as seven losses in its last nine games appears. Blossomgame is among the ACC’s best players and Syracuse will have its hands full trying to defend him. After two recent Top 10 wins, it’d be easy to pick the Orange, but in the ACC, who knows anymore.