National

Two SU College of Law professors sign letter opposing Jeff Sessions’ nomination for attorney general

Renee Houape | Staff Photographer

1,400 law professors signed a petition raising doubts of Sen. Jeff Sessions' track record with civil rights.

Two Syracuse University College of Law professors have signed a letter circulating among law school professors across the country who oppose the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as attorney general.

David Driesen, University Professor, and Deborah Kenn, law professor and associate dean of clinical and experiential education at SU’s College of Law, are among more than 1,400 law professors who have signed the letter that raises doubt in Session’s commitment to defend civil rights.

“Many of us (law school professors) fear a decline in the rule of law,” Driesen said in an email. “Faith in the even handedness of law enforcement and fairness of elections is crucial to the survival of democracy, where law settles disputes, not raw power.”

Part of the debate surrounding Sessions’ approval stems from statements he’s made in the past, including when he said in 1986 that he thought the Ku Klux Klan “were OK until I found out they smoked pot.” Sessions has since said the comment was made as a joke.

“Nothing in Sen. Sessions’ public life since 1986, has convinced us that he is a different man than the 39-year-old attorney who was deemed too racially insensitive to be a federal district court judge,” the letter states.

Driesen criticized Sessions’ activities as a prosecutor in Alabama, specifically the actions Sessions took against civil rights activists. Driesen said he “baselessly” accused them of voter fraud.

However, more than 100 former U.S. attorneys wrote the Senate to express their approval of the appointment.

“During his 41 years of public service, Senator Sessions has proved to be a leader of strong principles and firm beliefs. His support for the 25-year extension of the Civil Rights Act in 2006 is evidence of this,” the letter states.

The letter signed by the law professors also mentioned Sessions’ prosecution of the head of Alabama’s KKK for the brutal murder of Michael Donald, an African American teenager.

To be approved for the position, Sessions needs to pick up a majority of votes in the Senate. It is expected that Sessions will easily be confirmed as the next attorney general, as the Republican Party holds majority.  If he is confirmed, Alabama’s governor will select an interim replacement, until a special election is held to replace him.