Ice Hockey

Slow start hampers Syracuse in 3-1 loss to No. 7 Robert Morris

Leighann Rodgers | Staff Photographer

RMU's Jessica Gazzola scores on an open look during a 3-1 Colonials win Friday night.

On a night when her teammates came out flat, Syracuse goalie Abbey Miller was tested from the get-go. Eight of Miller’s 20 saves came within the opening minutes as RMU pressured the Orange relentlessly. Within the first minute, SU had conceded two faceoffs in its own zone. Miller’s number was called over and over as the Orange defenders failed to clear the puck.

When Syracuse defenders would pass the puck along the boards, desperately keeping their heads above water, RMU’s speedy forwards intercepted the puck and tested the Orange netminder.

“I just didn’t think we had much jump,” SU head coach Paul Flanagan said. “The first seven or eight minutes I thought the ship was sinking, it didn’t look good.”

After RMU’s barrage of shots to begin the game, a Dakota Derrer hooking penalty gave RMU a skater advantage. Syracuse’s (9-11-5, 8-3-2 CHA) slow start allowed No. 7 Robert Morris (17-2-6, 10-1-2) to control the majority of the game and beat the Orange, 3-1, Friday night at Tennity Ice Pavilion.

Syracuse entered the game a win away from tying for first place in the CHA. But poor passes and decision making did not help the cause.

As senior forward Jessica Sibley skated down on the left side of the neutral zone, three RMU defenders crashed down on her. Feeling the pressure of the defense, Sibley kicked the puck away into the waiting stick of RMU center Jessica Gazzola. Seconds later, Miller was beat glove side for the second time in as many minutes.

Gazzola’s goal doubled RMU’s lead, and Syracuse’s hopes of tying for first place were dashed. A string of errant SU passes followed.

“We were really antsy, gripping our sticks pretty tight,” SU defender Megan Quinn said. “We have to forget what we are playing for.”

A strong RMU forecheck prevented the SU forwards from getting out in transition. SU’s tendency of passing the puck along the boards proved futile as RMU capitalized off creating traffic.

“We weren’t thinking,” Flanagan said. “We weren’t quick enough up here (motioning to his head).”
SU forward Stephanie Grossi cited a lack of communication when it came to the teams struggles of clearing the puck. The quickness of the RMU forwards, stifled the Orange offense early on. When the RMU attack trapped the Orange along the boards, SU failed to provide a response.

“There has to be someone open on the breakout,” Grossi said. “If we can find that, on offense we will be a lot more successful.”