Is Chuck’s Cafe in jeopardy? A construction proposal calls for its demolition

SU students celebrate at Chuck's Cafe in March, when the men's basketball team beat Virginia to advance to the Final Four.

The future of the popular Chuck’s Cafe and other structures on South Crouse Avenue could be in jeopardy, as there is a proposal to demolish the structures and replace them with a mix of apartments and retail businesses.

BLVD Equities, a real estate development firm based in New Jersey and managed by Syracuse University alumnus Jared Hutter, has proposed demolishing the structures at 727 S. Crouse Ave. — where Chuck’s and Funk ‘n Waffles are located — and constructing an 8-story “mixed use building.” The building would include retail and lobby areas on the first floor in addition to residential apartments on the upper floors.

The Syracuse City Planning Commission on Tuesday night tabled a vote on the proposal after a lengthy public hearing. The commission closed the hearing and will vote on the proposal at the next meeting on Feb. 6 as “old business.” No public comments will be allowed at that time.

The major point of contention with the project is a zoning law that requires a set number of parking spots to be available for parking and retail spaces. The proposed project would normally require 227 total parking spots in the immediate area, but the developers asked the commission to wave that number to zero.

Representatives of the proposal, including James Trasher, the developer’s consultant and engineer, claimed that many SU students don’t bring cars to campus, and that surrounding lots rented out by SU, local hospitals and other satellite locations would be available to students who need parking spots.

The commission questioned Trasher on his claims and ultimately tabled the vote because of the parking waiver.

Jacqueline Jones, attorney for Chuck’s and an SU alumna, spoke in favor of the proposal, saying Chuck’s is “ready and willing” to move forward with the proposal.

“Without your approval of this application, Chuck’s and possibly other tenants would be put in a state of limbo,” Jones said to the commission.

Despite Chuck’s desire to leave the space, SU students may not share the same sentiment. Many students on Tuesday took to social media to express their displeasure with the potential demolition of the bar. Jackie Pereira, a senior public relations major, spoke to the commission and said the proposal would be “disheartening to all in the community” and a daily reminder to students “of another small piece of their campus culture being torn down.”

“The students, I might add, that this apartment complex would then be asking to occupy it,” she said.

Hutter and BLVD Equities previously developed what is now U Point Syracuse, a luxury student apartment complex on University Avenue. Hutter has since sold the property to American Campus Communities, a student housing developer based in Texas.

Jerry Dellas, the owner of the property at 727 S. Crouse Ave., has authorized BLVD Equities to submit proposals and applications to “obtain the necessary approvals and permits” to move forward with the project, according to the official proposal.

If approved, the project, officially called the Campus Plaza Development, would be carried out by CHA Consulting, an engineering consultant based in Syracuse.

Hutter has discussed the project with SU officials, according to the proposal.

PR-16-50 by Michael Burke on Scribd