Graduate Student Organization

Graduate Student Organization president provides update on sanctuary campus bill

Kiran Ramsey | Senior Design Editor

The Graduate Student Organization at Syracuse University held its first meeting of the semester on Wednesday.

Members of Syracuse University’s Graduate Student Organization on Wednesday stressed the importance of advocacy and activism at the department level at SU during the group’s first meeting of the semester.

Some of the other key topics of the meeting included teaching assistant policies, the GSO sanctuary campus resolution and the finalization of a conference budget.

President Rajesh Kumar mentioned the plight of first-year Ph.D. students, some of whom have had their stipends cut in half based on their performance in the first qualifying exam. The current policy states that a student who fails in the first attempt may retake the exam in the following year, but may not receive a full 20 hours per week teaching assistant appointment during the second year, he said.

He added that some of these students are not aware of the steps they can take to counter these measures.

“GSO participates at the university level but there is a need for participating at department level,” Kumar said.

He also said GSO is pushing the university administration to expedite the process of creating an ombuds office. Provost Michele Wheatly announced in December that the administration had finalized a model that would address the grievances of graduate students, he said.

Kumar also announced that the university has agreed to increase stipends for graduate assistants. The exact rate, duration and method of increase are yet to be negotiated, he said.

He then gave an update on the GSO’s sanctuary campus resolution, saying he is still waiting on SU Chancellor Kent Syverud to give a written response to some of the key points raised, such as the continuation of students’ education in the event of an arrest, imprisonment or deportation.

GSO has also secured $17,000 in funding to host the National Association of Graduate-Professional Students’ annual conference later this year, Vice President of External Affairs Peta Long said. The time frame for planning will be discussed at the next meeting, she said.

GSO Comptroller David Lemon presented the Finance Committee’s recommendations regarding the special programming requests made by three student organizations. The committee assessed the needs of the Society for the Promotion of Indian Classical Music And Culture Amongst Youth, Society of Undergraduate and Graduate Geology Students and Biology Graduate Student Organization.

The committee then proceeded to elect candidates for GSO University Senator and At-Large Senator. Walt Donner, who is working on a master’s of public administration at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, ran unopposed for the position of University Senator and won. Donner had to step down from his position as At-Large Senator to hold his new position.

Gayathri Manogna Parimi, a first year computer science graduate student, ran unopposed for one of six positions of At-Large Senator and won.