Beat writers offer grim predictions in Syracuse’s date with No. 6 Florida State

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Syracuse faces an uphill battle even on its home court, where the Orange has been so good, when No. 6 Florida State visits on Saturday afternoon.

After a close win over Wake Forest, Syracuse (12-9, 4-4 Atlantic Coast) stays at home to take on No. 6 Florida State (18-3, 6-2) on Saturday at noon. Here’s how The Daily Orange beat writers think the game will end.

Connor Grossman (13-8)
Chopped
Florida State 84, Syracuse 65

After more than a month of harmony in the Carrier Dome, Syracuse finally loses on its home court for the first time since falling by 33 to St. John’s on Dec. 21. Florida State has proven itself over and over again as one of the nation’s best teams — facing six ranked conference opponents in succession and winning five of those contests — and Syracuse’s season has simply gone the opposite way. SU didn’t do much against similarly-ranked teams like Notre Dame and UNC to offer much hope that it can stand up to a quality conference opponent. Perhaps SU will hang around for the first 20 minutes, but expect the Seminoles to close out this one handily.

Matt Schneidman (10-11)
Six gods
Florida State 75, Syracuse 66

The No. 6 Seminoles won’t shoot 28.2 percent (20-of-71) from the field again like they did in a shocking 22-point loss to Georgia Tech on Wednesday night. Florida State, led by Dwayne Bacon, Xavier Rathan-Mayes and freshman standout Jonathan Isaac, is one of the most shocking teams in the nation in terms of how it started the season. From Dec. 31 to Jan. 21, Leonard Hamilton’s squad won five of six games, all against ranked ACC teams. What won’t be shocking, though, is the result in the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon.

Paul Schwedelson (14-7)
Sizzling bacon
Florida State 73, Syracuse 59

This game would be much easier to pick if Florida State didn’t lay an egg against Georgia Tech on Wednesday night with a 22-point loss. But even though the ACC Wheel of Confusion landed on the Seminoles, FSU is still a much more talented team than the Orange. Florida State boasts a well-rounded attack between Rathan-Mayes, Bacon and Isaac. The Seminoles have only lost three games this year for a reason, and they’ll be too much for Syracuse to handle.