Crime

Syracuse University student identified as homicide victim in DeWitt

Sam Ogozalek | Staff Writer

A Syracuse University student has been identified as a homicide victim after being found dead in DeWitt, according to the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office.

UPDATED Oct. 2 at 11:24 p.m.

A Syracuse University student was found dead in DeWitt in an apparent homicide on Friday, authorities said.

The Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office identified 23-year-old SU student Xiaopeng Yuan from Beijing, China after discovering him dead behind the Springfield Garden Apartments located on Caton Drive on Friday afternoon, according to a report from the sheriff’s office.

Deputies and the DeWitt Police Department responded to 911 calls from residents in the apartment who reported they heard gunshots in the area, according to the report.

No suspects have been identified, per the report.

Tasha Epps, a 37-year-old woman who has lived in the apartment complex for nine months, said she heard no gunshots Friday afternoon.

Epps said she was asleep in her living room around the time the shots were reported.

“I haven’t seen anything or heard anything, so it doesn’t really bother me,” Epps said. “My kids didn’t see anything so they’re OK.”

This was the first time “anything like this” had occurred in her area of the complex since she moved in, Epps said. She added that she was unsure if other areas of Springfield Garden Apartments have experienced violence since she moved in.

But multiple stabbings and at least two homicides have previously occurred at the apartment complex, according to Syracuse.com.

Other complex residents said there was a large police presence in the area following the discovery of Yuan’s body, and said they heard no gunshots themselves Friday afternoon.

Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz, senior vice president and dean of student affairs at SU, said in an email to the university community on Saturday night that Yuan was a student studying mathematics in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“I join Chancellor Syverud, and the entire community during this painful time, in extending our heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and all who knew him,” Kantrowitz said. “Our thoughts are with all of those grieving his loss.”

The Department of Public Safety is currently working with the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office and DeWitt Police and there is no threat posed on or around SU campus, Kantrowitz said.

Patricia Burak, director of the Slutzker Center for International Services, said in an email Sunday that the center and the Chinese Students and Scholars Association leaders are preparing for Yuan’s parents arrival to the United States. She added the Chinese Consulate in New York is also assisting his family.

“I know the coming days and weeks will be difficult for all of us as we mourn Xiaopeng’s passing,” Burak said, adding the center will continue to inform the SU international student community through its news listserv and its Facebook page.

“We share your sorrow and will work together to support Xiaopeng’s family and friends at this time,” Burak said.