Syracuse football’s Eric Dungey and Zaire Franklin earn ACC weekly honors

Jacob Greenfeld | Asst. Photo Editor

On Saturday, Eric Dungey became the first Syracuse player to pass for 300-plus yards and run for 100-plus yards in a game.

Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey and middle linebacker Zaire Franklin were named Atlantic Coast Conference players of the week for their efforts in a 31-17 upset win over No.17 Virginia Tech. Dungey was named the offensive back of the week and Franklin was named linebacker of the week.

Dungey threw for 311 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He ran for 106 yards and a score, too, becoming the first player in Syracuse history to throw for more than 300 yards and run for more than 100 yards in a single game. Dungey went down early in the game with a right leg injury, but popped on a black knee brace, missed just one play and returned to the game. The quarterback’s 417 yards of offense were a career high.

Franklin finished second on the team with 10 tackles. His biggest play came with Virginia Tech facing fourth and one at Syracuse’s 38-yard line in the first half trying to respond to SU’s score that made it 14-3. The Hokies ran a speed option to the left side — the same play in the same situation that then-Memphis head coach Justin Fuente ran against a Dino Babers-led Bowling Green team last year. Franklin, who had seen the play on film and knew what was coming, according to safety Rodney Williams, burst into the backfield for a 2-yard loss.

RELATED STORIES: