3 Syracuse women’s basketball storylines to watch for at Orange Madness

Liam Sheehan | Staff Photographer

Orange Madness will be held in the Carrier Dome on Friday at 7 p.m.

Syracuse had the best season in program history last year, making it to the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game and the national championship game. The Orange lost both contests but hosted NCAA Tournament games for the first time in school history and earned its highest rank in program history.

The Orange lost 3-point ace Brianna Butler, who set an NCAA record with 415 attempted 3s last year, but returns its other two four scorers in Alexis Peterson and Brittney Sykes.

Orange Madness in the Carrier Dome at 7 p.m. will provide a first look at this year’s team. Here are three storylines to watch for.

Who will emerge from 3 without Brianna Butler?

Brianna Butler led the Orange with 129 made 3-pointers last season, converting on 31.1 percent, and holds the SU program record with 373 career 3s. Orange head coach Quentin Hillsman molded the guard into a player with a shoot-first mentality and called her the best shooter in the country at times.

Without Butler, the Orange will have to rely heavily on senior guards Peterson and Sykes to pick up where Butler left off from behind the arc. One of these two will likely be competing in Friday’s 3-point contest, which will serve as the fans’ first opportunity to see if SU can rely on the deep ball as heavily this season as it did last.

Let’s dance

At last year’s Orange Madness, the SU players gathered at midcourt after their 10-minute scrimmage and entertained the crowd with a choreographed dance.

If they decide to choreograph another dance this year, expect it to be one of the most entertaining parts of the night from both sides.

Last year, the team danced to an array of songs including “Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)”, “Crank That” and “Hit the Quan,” and the crowd danced and sang along. It was a sharp juxtaposition to Christian rapper NF’s performance at Orange Madness, during which almost no fans sang or danced along.

It’s not clear if the Orange will put together another dance this year, but Peterson, one of the leaders of the 2015 dance, will be back on the court for SU.

Put a ring on it

Both the SU men and women’s teams will be receiving their 2016 Final Four rings at Orange Madness, SU Athletics has said. Assistant coach Tammi Reiss posted a picture of what the rings look like on her Twitter account, but this will be the first time fans will get to see the rings up close.

The rings were the final addition to the 2016 Final Four spoils for both teams, which included a Final Four sideline chair for each player, a watch and an array of clothing and sneakers.