From The Runway

Tailgating 101: Your guide to game day style

Connor Bahng | Contributing Photographer

Dressing for a tailgate can be as easy as a couple snips in a sweatshirt or layering up 'Cuse clothes.

September is here, and that means it’s that time of the year again: people start finishing their work on Friday so they can go enjoy the Saturday festivities that come with the return of football season. Regardless of if you are even interested in the game, many of us can agree that few things are more fun than game day at SU and showing off your school pride to the rest of the campus.

When it comes to partying, Syracuse students go big or go home, and that includes game day outfits. Everyone is in high spirits and decked out in blue and orange from head to toe. On any given Saturday, you will see girls all over campus in creative and fun ensembles to party in and to also cheer on our team. Here are some functional yet creative looks to rock at Castle Court as we soak up the last few warm weekends here at ‘Cuse.

The best thing about making a good game day outfit is that you can use basically any item of clothing from the bookstore or Marshall Street to produce a unique ensemble. All you really need is a little creativity to pull off the perfect look.

Take a basic Syracuse sweatshirt up a notch by cutting slits on the top of the sleeves and cutting off the bottom for a cropped style. Simply lay the sweatshirt flat and cut 2-3 inch slits down each sleeve.

16

You can then pair it with distressed high-waisted jeans or shorts and white Converse sneakers for a comfortable look. A navy blue SU sweatshirt is perfect because it can be paired with anything and still look cute. Not having to worry about beer stains is also an added bonus.

The big trend in tailgating fashion is cutting up a plain sweatshirt, but you can definitely use those scissors on T-shirts as well in different ways. Start by cutting off the neck, cuffs and bottom to craft an edgier and more distressed look. Cut along the collar and then lightly pull on the new collar to give it a more worn-in appearance.

Pair a signature orange shirt with black distressed jeans and sneakers like Adidas Superstars for a sporty look. If you want to up the edge factor even more, tie your hair up in a ponytail and add a distressed choker to match the jeans.

If you want to go for a more casual look, try cutting off the sleeves of a basic Syracuse t-shirt and wearing it with a cute bralette for the warmer days. Just lay the shirt flat and cut off the sleeves along the seams. You can keep the collar in tact and cut off the bottom for a high neck cropped look. This look is both cute and versatile, so you can wear it with a denim skirt, distressed shorts or high-waisted jeans.

To accessorize, a hat is one of the best ideas for tailgating because it blocks the sun from your face. Hats are also extremely cute, and you will never have to worry about your hair.

If cutting up sweatshirts and T-shirts seems like too daunting of a task, another casual yet creative look is wearing a Syracuse T-shirt and tying it in a loose knot. For this style you can use an oversized tee or a men’s shirt. Just simply tie a loose knot at your waist in front or you can go higher up for a cropped look. You can then pair it with distressed shorts or boyfriend jeans and casual sneakers and relax knowing you’ll be both cute and comfortable throughout the day.

Game day at Syracuse is essentially a fashion show of blue and orange mixed with some partying and maybe actually watching some of the game. This Saturday, instead of throwing on T-shirt and calling it a day, garner some inspiration from these easy looks and get creative for game day.