Volleyball

Syracuse volleyball outmatched in 3-0 loss to No. 17 Penn State

Sabrina Koenig | Staff Photographer

Syracuse picked up its first win on Saturday against Siena, but was then outmatched by Penn State a few hours later.

With the Nittany Lions leading 24-22 in the first set, the Penn State faithful rose to their feet. A slow clap built steam as the fans chanted “We are State” repeatedly. A PSU serve landed in between the lines of the Orange due to miscommunication and the crowd erupted. In what was technically a Syracuse home game, the Orange fans were heavily overpowered — just like the team.

Syracuse (1-6) faced its toughest challenge so far this young season in the form of the No. 17 Penn State Nittany Lions (5-3) and lost, 3-0.

Coming off its first win of the season just hours earlier, the Orange got ahead of Penn State in the first set thanks in large part to freshman Mackenzie Weaver. Earlier in the day, Weaver tallied six kills against a weak Siena team. Against the more talented Nittany Lions, Weaver had nine kills and six digs.

“They bring a big crowd,” she said. “(It) makes me a gametime player.”

But it didn’t matter as the Nittany Lions’ powerful striking led to a 25-22 first-set win.

In the second set, emotions ran high. Questionable rulings by the officiating staff resulted in the PSU fans heckling head official Patricia Salvatore. On the court, the lady Nittany Lions began to voice their displeasure as well. After a kill by Penn State setter Abby Detering, the junior faced the stand where the referee stood and stared her down. Penn State’s skill only continued to shine from there as the Lions went on to win the second set 25-17.

“I need to play better,” Weaver said. “I grew up watching (Penn State). We need to take that (the loss) and act like we’ve been there before.”

By the time the third set rolled on, it was clear the Orange did not have the talent to compete against PSU. Nittany Lions junior Simone Lee took control as she showcased her strength with eighteen kills. The Orange did not have a lead the entire set as SU lost 25-12.