Syracuse University launches website on diversity and inclusion

Kiran Ramsy | Digital Design Editor

The Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion has spent severe months gathering inputs on diversity.

After collecting inputs from Syracuse University community members for several months, the university has launched a website featuring its efforts and programs on promoting diversity.

The Advancing Diversity and Inclusion website is part of 18 short-term recommendations that came from the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion, according to an SU news release.

The website will be updated constantly and will have links to both the curricular and co-curricular programs, activities, services, offices, groups and other resources available to foster a diversity-friendly learning environment, according to the release.

“This new website is one more step in ensuring we are fostering an inclusive environment for every member of our University community,” said Barry L. Wells, special assistant to the chancellor and a co-chair of the workgroup, in the release. “We want the campus community to use this website to find answers, locate resources, build partnerships and connect with the people on campus who are already advocates for inclusion and working toward a better understanding and a more respectful campus.”

The portal presents information from schools, colleges and administrative units in addition to research, reports, upcoming lectures, videos, current news and events with a link to the central university calendar, according to the release.

It is also intended to support and implement the recommendations of the Express Yourself Diversity and Inclusion Committee, the Senate Committee on Diversity and others, according to the release.

The workgroup released a series of recommendations in March about how SU can make a more diverse and inclusive campus and increase equality and acceptance for marginalized groups.

The university also announced in August it is launching a series of initiatives to enhance diversity among students, faculty and staff. Those initiatives include improving accessibility on campus, hiring minorities to faculty positions and creating a diversity and inclusion council to prepare the ground for a proposed chief diversity officer.