Fast Forward Syracuse

Syracuse University details proper use of University Place promenade in interim policy

Kiran Ramsey | Digital Design Editor

A permanent policy on safety at the University Place promenade will be implemented after hearing feedback from SU community members, according to an SU news release.

Syracuse University announced it will be implementing an interim policy detailing the safe and appropriate use of the University Place promenade.

A permanent policy regarding the promenade will eventually be created after gathering feedback from SU students, faculty and staff, according to an SU News release. A similar policy is currently in place for the Quad.

One of the main points in the policy is that activity on the promenade must not hinder pedestrian traffic and the promenade must always be open to pedestrians, according to the release. In addition, the promenade will always serve as a fire lane for emergency vehicles to reach surrounding buildings.

Anyone interested in reserving space on the pedestrian plazas and terraces along the promenade for SU-related activities or events must reserve the space through an academic or administrative department or a registered student organization, according to the release.

Starting this past Monday, requests can be made through the Student Centers and Programming Services website. Requests must be made at least five days in advance, according to the policy.

The policy also states that tents and other similar structures are not allowed on the promenade.

A full version of the university’s promenade policy can be found here.