Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud announces revisions to free speech policies

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud said in an announcement about the university's free speech policies that SU will maintain its policy of ensuring protests do not disrupt campus life.

Syracuse University will revise some of its policies related to free speech, including anti-harassment policies, SU Chancellor Kent Syverud announced Tuesday in an email to the university community.

Other revisions will include changing SU’s Computing and Electronic Communications Policy and clarifying how banners and signs may be displayed on campus. In addition, Syverud said SU will maintain its policy of ensuring protests don’t disrupt campus life.

The changes will come in response to recommendations SU’s Working Group on Free Speech shared with the SU community in November 2015. Syverud’s announcement also comes just days after the university was caught in an academic freedom controversy: A report surfaced on Thursday that an SU professor disinvited a filmmaker over fears that the reaction on campus to his film would be negative.

In his email Tuesday, Syverud said the Computing and Electronic Communications Policy will be revised to “more clearly define” when SU can access, review or disclose files and emails on its network. The revisions, Syverud said, should both protect privacy and academic freedom “while also maintaining the University’s ability to ensure network security, campus safety, and compliance with legal and regulatory obligations.”

Syverud also said in the email that SU should maintain the right to ensure protests don’t disrupt daily operations of campus life or threaten the safety of campus community members. He added that while the Quad “and similar spaces” can sometimes be used as forums for debate and assembly, not all campus spaces should be available at all times to non-SU community members.

Additionally, the Office of Residence Life and deans from schools and colleges will work to update SU’s Campus Posting Policy to clarify how banners and signs can be displayed, as well as how building bulletin boards can be used, the chancellor said.

SU’s anti-harassment policies will be revised to “serve all members of our community and reflect key objectives,” Syverud said. Those objectives, he said, include promoting free speech and debate so long as it is peaceful; protecting community members from discrimination; defending protests and counter-protests; and not tolerating protests that disrupt speakers on campus.

“Academic freedom can only exist if the campus fosters a marketplace of ideas and viewpoints,” Syverud said in the email. “Students and faculty must have the right to speak and assemble to promote their views. I am committed to ensuring that Syracuse University vigorously protects these rights.”