University Politics

Syracuse University announces 22 members of Council on Diversity and Inclusion

Kiran Ramsey | Digital Design Editor

Syracuse University selects 22 members for the Council on Diversity and Inclusion.

Chancellor Kent Syverud announced the members of Syracuse University’s Council on Diversity and Inclusion on Monday.

The council is one of the 18 short-term recommendations made by the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion last spring. The 22-member council will function as the main advisory committee to the chancellor on matters related to diversity and inclusion. It will also be a resource to academic and administrative units on the SU campus, according to an SU news release.

The council will also so be responsible for reviewing and advising on issues of diversity and inclusion, including those related to the campus climate and fulfilment of recommendations from the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion, according to the release.

The council would be a step to enhance diversity among students, faculty and staff, according to the release.

“I remain grateful to the members of the workgroup for their hard work on behalf of the University. We are a better Syracuse today because of their efforts,” Syverud said in the release.

Syverud said he is looking forward to working collaboratively with the new council to further advance the workgroup’s initiatives as the university continues toward a more diverse and inclusive campus community.

Members of the council will represent relevant schools, colleges, offices and programs, in addition to undergraduate and graduate students.

Members of the SU Council on Diversity and Inclusion:

• Tammy Bluewolf-Kennedy, admissions counselor/Native American liaison
  • Pat Burak, director of the Slutzker Center for International Services
  • Maureen Casey, chief operating officer of the Institute for Veterans and Military Families
  • Pedro Castro Jr., Historically Black Church chaplain for Hendricks Chapel
  • Shiu-Kai Chin, professor in the College of Engineering and Computer Science and vice chair of the Board of Directors of InterFaith Works of Central New York
  • Francine D’Amico, associate professor in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs and chair of the Senate Committee on LGBT Concerns
  • James Duah-Agyeman, director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs and chair of the University Senate Committee on Diversity
  • Bea González, dean of University College and special assistant to the chancellor
  • Tiffany Gray, director of the LGBT Resource Center
  • Margaret Himley, associate provost of international education and engagement
  • Aaron Hodukavich, director and ADA coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services
  • Sheila Johnson-Willis, director of equal opportunity and inclusion
  • Peta Long, vice president of external affairs for the Graduate Student Organization
  • Paula MacDonald, associate director for organizational development and training
  • Angela Morales-Patterson, assistant director for alumni and donor engagement in the Office of Program Development
  • Paula Marie Possenti-Perez, director of the Office of Disability Services
  • LaVonda Nichelle Reed, associate provost for faculty affairs
  • Diasia Robinson, diversity officer for the Student Association
  • Christabel Sheldon, director for the Center for Academic Achievement
  • Barry L. Wells, special assistant to the chancellor
  • Diane R. Wiener, director of the Disability Cultural Center
  • Bob Wilson, director of the Office of Supportive Services

The announcement of the council comes less than a month after the launch of a new diversity website on Sept. 7. The website was also one of the short term recommendations made by the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion. It was created as a way to provide members of the SU community with easy access to programs, initiatives, services, offices, groups and other resources on campus.