Women's Lacrosse

Syracuse hires Caitlin Defliese as assistant women’s lacrosse coach

Syracuse women's lacrosse head coach Gary Gait, left, has added former Stony Brook associate head coach Caitlin Defliese as an assistant.

Syracuse has hired former Stony Brook associate head coach Caitlin Defliese as an assistant women’s lacrosse coach, SU Athletics announced Friday afternoon.

“We are excited to have a coach with Caitlin’s level of experience,” Syracuse head coach Gary Gait said in a statement. “She has played an integral part in turning Stony Brook into a top 10 program. Her experience will help us continue to compete for a national championship.”

At Stony Brook, Defliese served as defensive coordinator. In 2016, the Seawolves were second in the nation in scoring defense (6.1 goals per game) and fourth in scoring margin (7.33). Defliese played at Boston University, where she graduated in 2010. She was named to the 2010 All-America East second team. As a freshman in 2007, she was named the conference’s All-Rookie Team.

“I’d like to thank Gary and (associate head coach) Regy Thorpe and director of athletics John Wildhack for this opportunity,” Defliese said. “I’m excited about being a part of this great institution and I’m looking forward to learning from two of the best coaches in the women’s lacrosse world. I’d also like to thank Stony Brook and head coach Joe Spallina for a great five years and allowing me to grow, both personally and professionally.”

In June, former Syracuse women’s lacrosse coach Michelle Tumolo was named an assistant at Oregon. The Orange comes off a year in which it advanced to the Final Four before losing to Maryland.