Field Hockey

Syracuse field hockey blows past Hofstra, 5-1, with dominant 2nd half

Courtesy of The ACC

Laura Hurff took six shots and scored a goal against Hofstra on Sunday. The Orange beat the Pride, 5-1.

After scoring just one goal in the first half, No. 2 Syracuse (4-0) piled on four second-half goals to dominate Hofstra (1-3), 5-1, at Hofstra Field Hockey Stadium in Hempstead, New York. The Orange outshot Hofstra 19-5 in the win.

Lies Lagerweij scored the contest’s first goal 25:46 into the game, putting the Orange up, 1-0. But after a half that saw the Orange fire eight shots on goal, Hofstra held strong, heading into the break down just one.

The Orange caught momentum in the second half, piling on four of its five goals in the final 35 minutes. Roos Weers scored Syracuse’s second goal of the game less than five minutes into the second frame, putting the Orange up, 2-0.

Marin Samper gave the Pride a chance with 24:35 left in the game, smashing home her second goal of the season. The Pride was down only 2-1 with an opportunity to snatch the game from Syracuse.

But Laura Hurff, Elaine Carey and Lagerweij made sure Hofstra came nowhere close to a win, each adding another goal for the Orange, and moving the score to 5-1. Lagerweij now leads the undefeated Orange with six goals on the season, already three more than she finished last season with.

Freshman Lucy Camlin got the start in the net for the Orange, allowing just one goal and posting four saves in the victory. It was her first appearance of the year.