Thirsty Thursday

Rose wine delights tastebuds with fruity, sweet notes

Frankie Prijatel | Staff Photographer

One of the most delightful things about this rose wine is its light carbonation.

Now that you’re well into the second week of classes and back into the Syracuse groove, it may be time to stay in for a night or two and catch up on all the work you’re already behind on

But just because you’re home for the night doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a sweet, fruity wine as you slave away over your computer.

The Sutter Home Pink Moscato wine is a summery drink, perfect to enjoy in the warm, breezy weather of early September in Syracuse.

Color-wise, the wine is a medium rose with complete clarity. A lightly carbonated wine, little bubbles rise up from the glass as you pour it from the bottle.

It isn’t thick, but it leaves a light ring around the glass when you swirl it around. This shows the high amount of residual sugar within the wine.

Swirling the glass not only tells you about the wine, but also releases its aroma. As I breathed it in, pleasing hints of tree fruit and flowers and notes of caramel filled my senses.

The sweet smell is just a preview of the deliciously sweet dessert wine. At first sip, melon and passionfruit flavors jumped out at me, alongside a refreshingly acidic taste. As I drank more of the wine, I noticed a calming vanilla flavor hidden beneath the fresh fruity flavors, the perfect combination for my taste buds.

You may be more familiar with moscato wine as a white instead of pink. This is actually how the Sutter Home Pink Moscato wine is true to its name.

The wine is first made as a regular white Sutter Home Moscato, which is cold-fermented at 50 degrees Fahrenheit and aged in stainless steel tanks. This process is what causes the specific aromas and tastes to form.

Once the white wine is aged, a hint of rose is added to the moscato wine. This changes the color and taste and creates the Sutter Home Pink Moscato.

I drank this wine chilled, but not extremely cold. While I didn’t accompany the wine with food, I think it would be perfect with a simple vanilla cake or berry cobbler.

My favorite part of this wine is the price.  It’s perfect for entertaining guests on a college budget, as it usually sells for around $6 a bottle. This wine has 10 percent alcohol. For the price, this rose packs a lot of punch.