Music

Drop of the year: Gaga’s new song “Perfect Illusion”

Lady Gaga fans everywhere were freaking out when she dropped her new single “Perfect Illusion” Friday morning. The song is her first single since her last album, “ARTPOP” in 2013, so Little Monsters were pretty excited. Wow, Gaga’s voice has been missed.

The rock-infused single features vocals that remind me of her “Bad Romance” era. “Perfect Illusion” is interesting because it is the opposite of perfect. It’s fun and reminiscent of the old Gaga sound.

With lines such as, “that’s what it means to crush, now that I’m wakin’ up, I still feel the blow, but at least now I know,” we get insight into what Gaga’s thinking as she plays with the different themes of love and deception throughout the song.

Gaga belts the song’s title throughout the entire track claiming that what she thought was love, was just a “perfect illusion.”

The song’s bridge has the same “don’t be a drag just be a queen” feel as “Born This Way,” with her background lyrics “where are you? Cause I can’t see you.”

“Perfect Illusion” has a powerful feel. Even though Gaga seems to be going through a heartbreak, she makes us feel empowered to push through the hard times. Definitely a song I will listen to when I need a reminder to move forward.

Phoebe Smith is a junior public relations major. Her column appears weekly in Pulp. You can email her at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @phoebesmithh5.