Juice Jam 2016

5 things to know about Juice Jam 2016 headliner Fetty Wap

Brian Cerejo | Staff Photographer

This will be Fetty Wap's second visit to campus.

New Jersey rapper Fetty Wap will headline Juice Jam 2016. Get to know the catchy MC before he performs at Skytop.

1. Fetty Wap comes this way (again)

The star performed alongside Rich Homie Quan and Travis Scott at Goldstein Auditorium in April 2015 as part of Greek Unity Fest, organized by the National Pan-Hellenic Council.

He brought out members of the Remy Boyz and ended his set with “Trap Queen.”

2. Even Taylor Swift loves “Trap Queen”

The pop-icon brought Fetty Wap on stage during a 2015 show in Seattle and covered his biggest song to date.

Goon, Fetty Wap’s hypeman, told Rolling Stone in a Sept. 25 article, “Where I’m from, they expect you to be dead or in jail. When they see you onstage with Taylor Swift, it’s beyond. It’s f*cking amazing. It’s a movie. You never want to take it for granted or f*ck it up.”

3. Fetty Wap has a  glass eye

In a 2016 interview with XM Radio’s  Shade 45’s DJ Self, the MC explained that he suffered from congenital glaucoma.

“When I was little I had gotten into a little accident and it gave me congenital glaucoma in both of my eyes,” he said. “The doctor saved one, I was blessed to still have my vision.”

4. 1738 was a mistake, kind of

The rapper is known for his numerous 1738 shout outs during songs, but they aren’t just random numbers. In an interview with DJ Small he admitted to not doing his “background search,” when claiming the numbers in association with his label.

The numbers come from liquor company 1738 Remy Martin, which Fetty thought was the most expensive bourbon in the world. But upon learning that the bottle typically costs less than $80,  said it’s the most expensive liquor where he’s from, the “urban district.”

5. The meaning behind his name

Born Willie Maxwell II, his stage name comes from dual interest in both money and one of his idols, rapper Gucci Mane. In an interview with GlobalGrind, he explained, “‘Fetty’ is money. Wap is from Gucci Mane [nickname] Guwop.”