Training Camp 2016

Syracuse football quarterback Zack Mahoney earns scholarship

John Williams |Staff Photographer

Zack Mahoney (middle) earned a scholarship after beginning the 2015 season as a fifth-string walk-on.

Syracuse quarterback Zack Mahoney has been put on scholarship, SU announced Tuesday afternoon.

Mahoney played in eight games last season despite starting the year as a fifth-string walk-on, including starts again then-No. 8 LSU and then-No. 1 Clemson. The Orange only lost by 10 in each of those games and Mahoney threw for a combined 234 yards and three touchdowns in those two games.

Head coach Dino Babers informed the team of the decision after Monday’s practice.

“One of the things we’ve always looked at when awarding walk-ons scholarships is if they give our family an opportunity to win when they go into the game,” Babers said in the release. “The way Zack played last year, particularly the way he led this football team against LSU and Clemson, along with the way he’s prepared so far this year with our staff, there’s no doubt in my mind if there’s anyone deserving of a scholarship it’s Zack Mahoney.”

Mahoney rose up the depth chart after injuries to Terrel Hunt, AJ Long and Eric Dungey. He started in four games and threw for 535 yards, seven touchdowns and two interceptions. He also ran for 151 yards and two scores, both of which came against Clemson in a 34-24 loss.

Mahoney came from the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn, Illinois before coming to Syracuse before spring practice in 2014.

“Coach Babers and this staff have truly given me an opportunity to show what I can do. I’ve developed a lot as a player and a person with this staff and I’ve very grateful,” Mahoney said in the release. “I’m excited to keep helping this team.”

The Orange opens the regular season against Colgate next Friday, Sept. 2 at 7 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.