Countdown to Camp 2016

Syracuse football player file No. 2: Chris Slayton

Chris Slayton (95) is in line to start at defensive tackle this season. He impressed in the spring game with six tackles.

Syracuse football training camp opens Saturday. The Daily Orange beat writers, Chris Libonati, Jon Mettus and Matt Schneidman, analyzed the top 10 preseason storylines and top 10 position battle heading into camp. Here are the final three of 10 player files in the series. Check out dailyorange.com and follow along here to countdown to camp.

Chris Slayton

Position: Defensive tackle
Year: Redshirt sophomore
Ht.: 6-4
Wt.: 296

Chris Slayton is the only returning defensive tackle from 2015 — he was just one of two on the roster. So it’s no surprise that he’s in line to be the starter at that spot in the coming season.

He’s made a name for himself as one of the strongest players on the team and showed vast improvement prior to training camp last year, according to former defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough.

MORE PRESEASON PLAYER FILES:

Slayton played in all 12 games during the 2015 campaign, starting five of them. He finished with 22 tackles (14 solo) and was fourth on the team with six tackles for loss.

He was a standout during the spring football game with six tackles, three for loss, and a sack.

Slayton is the only returning defensive lineman to record a sack last year and the Tampa 2 will require even more disruption created by Slayton and the defensive line.