Men's Soccer

Lassiter brings a ‘handful’ to SU offense

Kenny Lassiter is a weapon as SU's third forward, leading the team in shots through two games this season.

Chris Nanco broke free and forced the Ohio State goalie to make a save. But there was Kenny Lassiter, who had anticipated where the ball might go. He collected the rebound and passed it to Jonathan Hagman, who found the net in the 88th minute for the game-winning goal in the Orange’s final exhibition game against OSU.

Lassiter’s been around the ball in the early part of the 2016 season. As he did in the Ohio State game, he’s anticipating gaps and filling them. He gives slight but effective shoves to set up teammates on set pieces. He leads the team in shots, with six, and is third in shots on goal with three. The redshirt junior forward may not start, but he’s emerged as a vital part of No. 6 Syracuse’s (2-0) offensive attack ahead of its game with Colgate (2-0) Thursday at 7 p.m. at SU Soccer Stadium.

“He’s been provided an opportunity and he’s grabbing it with both hands,” Syracuse head coach Ian McIntyre said. “He’s come in fit, he’s healthy, he’s ready to go. I think Kenny has a big season ahead of him.”

Lassiter, who was recruited as a defender, has taken steps every year. As a redshirt freshman in 2014, he played in just one game. Last year, he tallied five shots on goal and nine shots overall. He started in only one game last season — the lone start of his career — and didn’t even see action in six matches. But as a reserve, he came in and played extended minutes, giving the Orange more versatility on both sides of the ball.

Two games into this season, Lassiter’s creating opportunities. He had an “outstanding spring,” McIntyre said, which has boosted his confidence. As a result, he’s more aggressive, apt to take more risks and attack defenders when he previously may not have.

“He’s a handful,” McIntyre said. “He’s got technique, he’s got power, he’s got strength and he’s adding goals to that as well.”

On Friday night, the Massachusetts defensive pressure frustrated Syracuse. The Orange controlled possession during the first half, got some good looks — Lassiter included — but did not capitalize.

Four minutes before halftime, the ball found Lassiter near the net. He paused slightly and his shot missed wide. But when he put himself in a similar situation near goal in the 80th minute, he did not hesitate. He scored, burying UMass in a three-goal deficit and helping Syracuse coast to a shutout win.

Even though he doesn’t start — he entered Sunday’s game vs. Loyola Marymount in the 29th minute — the 6-foot-2, 180-pound forward poses a threat to opponents, especially considering that SU has a variety of playmakers who complement one another. Lassiter is among the mix of offensive weapons that opposing coaches fear most, McIntyre and Colgate head coach Erik Ronning said.

“Last year he was more off the bench and provided a tremendous spark,” Ronning said.

Lassiter’s aggressiveness isn’t blatantly obvious. He stands calmly on set pieces and quietly bumbles around the field. But he is lean, strong and fast. When the time comes, he subtly shoves players around him to create space, finds openings and converts on the increased chances provided to him.

“I’m going to get my opportunity and just pounce on it,” Lassiter said.