Training Camp 2016

Jamal Custis working on filling out frame and potential in 2016

Riley Bunch | Staff Photographer

Jamal Custis is 6 feet 5 inches tall. His size gives him an opportunity to make a push for Syracuse's second outside receiver spot.

It may have been a bit of an overstatement, but Steve Ishmael referring to Jamal Custis as similar to Calvin Johnson is a reflection of what having a good frame means.

People see the potential. Custis’ ceiling is laid out for everyone to stare at. Even more than route running, hands or even speed, it’s easy to see size.

Yet, Custis hasn’t necessarily lived up to what his frame bears out. He’s a 6-foot-5 receiver and weighs 224 pounds. Johnson also stands 6 feet 5 inches but weighs 240 pounds.

This offseason, Custis changed up his diet to make sure he fills out his frame and his potential in 2016. He switched out juices for fruits and started eating healthier. After spring ball, after he had seen the offense’s new tempo, Custis made the decision on his own.

“Everybody knows their body, so after eating junk food, you can feel your body’s a little sluggish, so I just tried a different approach,” Custis said.

MORE TRAINING CAMP COVERAGE:

Though he says assistant athletics director for athletic performance Sean Edinger and the rest of the staff helped him get in better shape, the decision was independent of the new programs head coach Dino Babers brought in.

Custis said the change has boosted his energy levels. Although the junior wide receiver hasn’t measured his speed since, Custis said he feels better and his lifts have been better than they’ve ever been before, noting his squat was higher than he thought he could raise it.

“Every year you got to try things different,” Custis said. “I want to be a better player, so I’m going to try things different.”

The proof has been in what his teammates have seen. In practices, Syracuse running back Jacob Hill said Custis has been one of the most impressive wide receivers during training camp.

For more coverage, visit our training camp blog with daily updates from training camp

Typically 6-foot-5 receivers have height advantages, and Custis has, on average, more than a 5-inch height advantage and more than a 20-pound weight advantage against Syracuse corners. But Hill said Custis is not just out-muscling or out-jumping defensive backs. He has been burning them, too, this preseason.

With his improvements, Custis has set himself up to take advantage of an in-flux outside wide receiver battle. For an offense that is average or smaller in size, he’s got a lot of it. And even with his improvements, things begin and end with his frame. He’s 5 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than the average SU receiver.

The receivers likely gunning for that No. 2 outside position — Amba Etta-Tawo and Alvin Cornelius — rely more on speed. Custis will always be bigger than those two, but now that he’s improved his diet, it may be the extra boost he needs to catch or pass them.

“When you eat different, it gives you energy,” Custis said. “If you’re eating all types of bad things, it makes you feel sluggish out here and you can’t afford to be sluggish in an offense that’s running this fast.”