New York State Fair 2016

How to make the most of a day trip to the New York State Fair

Moriah Ratner | Staff Photographer

The fair debuted seven new rides this year, and has been around for 175 years.

The first thing any fairgoer sees when they walk into The Great New York State Fair is the years 1840 and 2016 etched in stone atop the main gate. Whether you’re a fair rookie or a seasoned vet, approaching this entrance can be intimidating — on the other side lies the daunting combination of 175 years of history and $50 million of progress. And although admission is affordable enough that attending the fair for more than one day is certainly feasible, it makes sense to try and get the most out of  just a day trip to the fair. Here are a few tips to help you do just that:
Plan ahead

The fair’s website has schedules posted for every day. Check it out and maybe remember a few things that appeal to you so you don’t stroll up to the sea lion show or the pig racing as they’re about to end.

Maps are your friend

As soon as you pass through the gates, there should be an employee passing out maps. Grab one. With 54 markers showing you what there is and where to find it, the map is a basic tool that’ll simplify your task of tackling as much as possible in one day at the fair.

Come with an empty stomach

Depending on how much food you plan on eating, maybe even skip breakfast. OK, that’s a little extreme, but with all the options available at the fair, be prepared to have a new smell enticing you at nearly every turn. The fair’s website has a food finder, which is especially helpful considering the recent renovations have forced some vendors to move from their traditional location. Local legends like Hoffman Sausage hot dogs and Dinosaur Bar-B-Que are one the menu, and of course classic fair fare like fried Oreos and soft-serve ice cream are found in several locations. Taste NY, found in the horticultural building, offers free samples from some of the best food New York has to offer. Another fair staple, the Rainbow Milk Bar, offers 25-cent cups of both white and chocolate milk. The milk is popular enough that the line is often out the door.

Soak up the history

The Grange Building hosts a small exhibit that walks you through the history of the fair. Displays explain how it has changed over the years and show off some highlights of years past. Previous fairs’ butter sculptures are forever immortalized in miniature format, and one hallway takes you through some of the musical acts that have filled the fair’s bill over the decades.

Animal lovers, rejoice

When you think about the fair, you probably think of farm animals — sheep, chickens, cows, horses — and, as expected, you can find them all there. Better yet, each animal has a building dedicated to it. The poultry barn is jam-packed with tons of other creatures, from your basic pet rabbit to the colorful Japanese Silkie Bantams — essentially fluffy chickens. Within the dairy cattle and horse barns, there are plenty of shows to display the livestock of New York. If you’re looking for something a little less conventional, consider attending one of the Swifty Swine Racing Pigs sessions. Plus, Hawk Creek Nature Center from the Buffalo area brought along some wildcats and even an African crested porcupine if you want to see some creatures you didn’t even know existed.

Hold onto your hat

Wade Shows is running the expanded Midway this year, and there is something for everyone out there. Relax on the Ferris wheel or hold on for dear life on the roller coaster. If you plan on spending a lot of time out on the Midway, consider grabbing a wristband, since it’ll pay for itself after five or six rides.

Crack open that penny bank

Vendors and food tents won’t hold back in trying to sell you what they’ve got. They’ll shout to passersby in an effort to entice a few more customers. The Center of Progress Building, home of the giant sand sculpture, also houses tons of tables selling knick-knacks of a wide array. And while it certainly isn’t necessary to have a great time, there will be ample opportunities to leave with more stuff than you came with.

Open your ears

There are only a few days left in the 2016 fair, but there is still plenty of live music left to go. Chevy Court hosts a concert at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. everyday — except for Sept. 5 when Chicago plays at 6 p.m. — and they’re all free with the price of admission. Some names that are slated to grace Chevy Court in the next few days include rapper Flo Rida, Ithaca alternative rockers X Ambassadors, and American Idol’s Daughtry.