New York State Fair 2016

3 easy ways to get yourself to The Great New York State Fair

Daily Orange file photo

The New York State fair isn't within walking distance of campus, but there are many ways for students to travel there at a low cost.

There’s no better way to celebrate your return to Syracuse than with fried dough, Ferris wheel rides and free concerts with your friends.

The Great New York State Fair, running Aug. 25 through Sept. 5 in Syracuse, features rides, exhibits, food, showcases and concerts. The low-priced admission draws almost a million people every year, making the fair a very affordable activity for Syracuse University students just arriving on campus for the school year.

However, the distance from campus to the fairgrounds isn’t walkable; it requires a trip on the highway. There are several transportation options that are practical for college students on a budget:

1. Centro Bus

On Saturday, Sept. 3, and Monday, Sept. 5, bus transportation will be provided to SU and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students, staff and faculty free of charge. Head to College Place with your SU or ESF ID to catch a bus that reads “State Fair.” The bus will take you to the Main Gate of the New York State Fairgrounds.

On Saturday, Sept. 3, buses will begin departing from College Place at noon and will run in 30-minute intervals, but be sure to wrap up your fun in order to catch the last bus home at 10 p.m.

On Monday, Sept. 5, buses will begin departing from College Place at 10 a.m. and will run in 30-minute intervals until 7 p.m.

Buses will begin returning from the fair to campus at 10:30 a.m. and will run in 30-minute intervals. Just hop on a bus that reads “Syracuse University” with your ID at the Main Gate.

1. Taxi

There are many different taxi companies that service the Syracuse student community. Although it may seem pricy, a $15 taxi ride becomes a viable option when split among a group of your friends if your visit to the fair falls outside the bus schedule.

Suburban Taxi: (315) 434-9999

Blue Star Taxi: (315) 437-4000

Dependable Taxi: (315) 422-1000

1. Car

Lastly, if you are piling your friends into your car and driving there yourself, Parking at the fair is $5 per vehicle. There is ample space in parking lots around the grounds and a free shuttle is provided from the upper lots to the Main Gate.