Orientation Guide 2016

9 Syracuse sports traditions freshmen should learn

The band playing on the quad is one key tradition before games. They also play at Varsity after wins and flip a banner with the opposing team's name on it.

UPDATED: Aug. 25 at 4:10 p.m.

Here are some of the most important traditions students use to show school pride:

History of 44 — The number is Syracuse’s most famous, having been worn over a stretch by Jim Brown, branded the “greatest player ever” in the Carrier Dome, Ernie Davis, the first black Heisman Trophy winner, and Floyd Little, who was eventually inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The number has been retired and unretired several times, but it is currently not being worn by any player.

Screaming “O” in the national anthem — Students has developed a tradition of holding their arms over their heads and yelling the “O” during the “O! say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave” portion of the national anthem.

Band pregame show on the quad for football games — Prior to home football games, the Syracuse Marching Band performs on the steps of Hendrick’s Chapel. As the team prepares inside the Dome, the band pumps fans up outside it.

Band at Varsity Pizza after games — After football and men’s basketball wins, the band goes to Varsity Pizza and plays music for the patrons. The band participates in flipping a banner with the opponent’s name on it after wins.

“Stand and Clap” at men’s basketball games — At the start of each half at men’s basketball games, nearly all fans in the Carrier Dome will stand and clap rhythmically until Syracuse makes its first field goal of the game. Pro tip: If the Orange converts a free throw, don’t be fooled. The stand and clap continues anyway.

Key Jingle and pounding the bleachers on third down — Third downs are key plays. As a result, fans will take out their keys and jingle them prior to the snap while some fans opt to pound the bleachers along with Otto’s Army.

Taco Time — This upcoming season marks the 21st season of Taco Time. When the Syracuse men’s and women’s basketball teams reach a certain point total, Taco Bell offers free tacos to those in attendance. Last year, the totals were adjusted for the men’s team from 75 to 70 and remained the same, at 65 points, for the women’s team.

Alma Mater — The alma mater is played by the band after every football and men’s basketball game. Students often wrap their arms around the shoulders of those standing next to them and sway side to side.

“Imperial March” after a defensive third-down stop — When Syracuse’s defense comes up with third-down stops, SU’s Marching Band plays “Imperial March,” a song closely associated with Darth Vader in Star Wars movies.

CLARIFICATION: In a previous version of this article, the tradition of pounding the bleachers prior to the snap on third downs was not included.