5 things Dino Babers said during his 1st ACC teleconference

Courtesy of the ACC

Dino Babers addressed freshmen Sean Riley and Devin Butler and more on his first ACC coaches teleconference.

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers spoke on his first Atlantic Coast Conference coaches teleconference Wednesday morning ahead of the Orange’s season-opening game against Colgate on Friday at 7 p.m. Here are some things he said.

1. Freshman inside receiver Sean Riley will get playing time

Babers said Riley will get playing time and called him “extremely talented.” The more Riley limits mistakes, the more he will play, Babers added.

Ervin Philips and Brisly Estime were listed No. 1 and No. 2 at inside receiver, respectively, on the depth chart. But behind those two, the picture is a bit murky. Riley likely slots in as the No. 3. Scoop Bradshaw just switched positions from defensive back to receiver.

Freshman running back Moe Neal could play in the slot some, but he’s on the roster as a running back. He practiced with the running backs and receivers during training camp, but Babers said Neal is strictly a running back.

Riley came to Syracuse from Narbonne (California) High School and played for Brandon Manumaleuna, who was an H-back in Dino Babers’ offense at Arizona.

2. Devin Butler might not play

Depth could be the reason if wide receiver/running back Devin Butler does not play this season. Babers said the team is “not sure if Devin’s going to play this year or not. He’s right on the cusp.”

Butler recently changed his number from 81 to 13 and was relisted as a WR/RB instead of just a receiver on the roster. He practiced at both during the summer.

“At the positions that he is lining up at we have some depth at those positions so we really haven’t decided yet whether he’s going to play this year or not,” Babers said.

Backup outside receiver Alvin Cornelius had been limited at times throughout training camp, and wide receiver Jamal Custis sat out a practice late in camp. If their health becomes an issue, it could open up a spot for Butler.

3. The toughest schedule in the nation?

Babers thinks so. By various metrics, Syracuse’s schedule has been rated as one of the 10 hardest in the country. On Wednesday, Babers said the schedule is the toughest considering the personnel he has and that Colgate is ranked in the Football Championship Subdivision.

4. No new updates on Rodney Williams and Wayne Morgan 

Both defensive backs had been limited or out toward the end of training camp. Williams only played in nine games last season because of injuries. He also received a medical redshirt in 2014. Morgan also missed the 2014 season with a medical redshirt.

Babers said he doesn’t know their statuses and to ask the trainers.

5. “It’s going to be a football game”

Colgate comes into its game against Syracuse ranked in the FCS. Just two years ago, Syracuse struggled against Villanova in its home-opener, a game Zaire Franklin said on Tuesday the team probably should have lost. Babers was complimentary of the Raiders in the teleconference and in his weekly press conference on Monday.