Syracuse University tentatively agrees to provide 830 employees with 3-year contracts

Courtesy of Stephen Sartori

Syracuse University has reached a tentative agreement with a local workers union to provide 830 university employees with three-year contracts.

Syracuse University has reached a tentative agreement with a local workers union to provide 830 SU employees with three-year contracts, the university announced Tuesday.

SU and representatives from Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 200United reached the agreement Monday night, according to an SU News release.

Many of the employees are food service workers, library technicians and skilled tradespeople, per the release. That includes hundreds who are working on SU’s various summer construction projects, said Pete Sala, SU’s vice president and chief facilities officer, in the release.

“I am grateful the University has shown its commitment to these employees, who are some of the University’s greatest ambassadors,” Sala added in the release.

The agreement will be brought to members of SEIU Local 200United for a vote Aug. 3, said Scott Phillipson, the union president, in the release.

If approved, the contract would run from 2016 through 2019, according to the release.