SU construction update: promenade progress continues; Quad improvements complete

Rachel Gilbert | Feature Editor

Preparations are being made to pour concrete for a sidewalk leading to Bird Library. This is one of the many construction projects happening on the Syracuse University campus over the summer.

Almost all utility work on the University Place promenade has been completed, said Pete Sala, vice president and chief campus facilities officer, in a construction update sent to the Syracuse University community on Monday.

Sala said in the email that granite walls and stairs are being installed on the plinths and many trees have been planted along University Place.

Within the next few days, Sala said they expect to be pouring the concrete base for the brick pavers on about 60 percent of the promenade. This will take 12 hours, requiring about 70 concrete trucks.

The University Place promenade is a part of the Campus Framework. The university released a 42-page draft of the Campus Framework on June 20, detailing plans for the physical SU campus over the next 20 years.

In addition, the Quad 2 Parking Lot will be kept closed for an additional week — reopening on July 30 — due to the need to “replace an unsightly exterior transformer at Smith Hall,” Sala said in the email. Work on the Quad 2 Parking Lot is part of the construction of the University Place promenade.

The university also has a live feed to show the progress being made on the University Place promenade.

Over the summer, SU is working on completing more than 120 campus construction projects. Here are the other construction updates Sala included in his email:

Brewster/Boland/Brockway Complex electrical service replacement: The deep excavation project across Van Buren Street has been in progress for one week now. Sala said they unfortunately encountered more shale than anticipated so the crew has been slowed down because they need to break it out of their way as they excavate across the street. Due to this, Van Buren Street will remain closed until Aug. 6 — a week later than originally predicted.

Coyne Field turf replacement: Installation is finishing up on the new field turf at J.S. Coyne Field, which is home to Syracuse’s field hockey team.

Crouse College bells: Preparation work in the bell tower of Crouse College will begin Aug. 1. During the second week of August, a crane will rig new bells into place. The preparation of the fourth floor area under the bells is underway to allow the space to be used for practicing, with a new practice chime stand.

Falk College café: Demolition is complete and construction has started on the new café in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics. Along with the new demonstration kitchens, this project is one of the final pieces of the Falk College relocation and consolidation in White and Winifred MacNaughton halls. The café is scheduled to open mid-September.

Grant Auditorium elevator: A modernization upgrade to this elevator has been underway since early July. The project is scheduled to be complete in early August.

HBC elevator: The installation of the new elevator in Huntington Beard Crouse Hall is on track to be complete and in service the second week of August. This elevator will feature a stop at the Gifford Auditorium Lobby, which was not previously accessible from inside the building.

Quad improvements: Fencing is being removed around the Quad, as the improvement project has been completed. Irrigation, tent tie-downs, power and data are all installed and ready to “make the Quad a better event space,” Sala said in the email. The university contractors are now working to improve the conditions of the Quad lawn, which are poor due to the weather.

Regent Theatre accessible restroom: Renovations to the restrooms at the Regent Theatre Complex are underway and scheduled to be complete in the first week of September, in time for the fall performance season.

Roof updates: With the Flanagan Gymnasium roof replacement finishing up this week, all roofing work — with the exception of the Commissary — is complete. Some detailed final items remain, so Sala said in the email that there may still be some contractors present on campus, but all of the work is “substantially complete.”

Sims Hall stair replacement: The two north stairs at Sims Hall are currently being replaced at the same time, with walks and site stairs having been removed. Cast-in-place stairs have been installed. The site will be restored and work will shift to the east side of the building later in August.

Skytop Budget Office renovation: The Skytop Budget Office will move from the Skytop Office Building to a remodeled space in 621 Skytop Rd. the first week of August. This move is the first effort in a larger project to reorganize and renovate the Skytop Office Building.

Slutzker Center improvements: Several improvement efforts at the Slutzker Center for International Services are now complete. This included painting, the installation of new carpet and the addition of a second-floor restroom. Exterior painting and other improvements efforts are almost done.

Steam line replacement at Waverly Avenue/Comstock Avenue: In collaboration with the City Water Department, crews on the steam line project were able to strengthen a joint and install a critical new valve on a 30-inch high-pressure water main. This main will allow for the new steam line to be installed crossing under it. Crews will now work to complete the steam line, backfill the road and work toward final restoration.

Tennity Ice Pavilion – Rink chiller replacement: A new chiller has arrived on site and work is underway to install it. Simultaneously, a temporary chiller is operational and making ice on the rink, which is schedule to open the first week of August.