SU construction update: Promenade work continues; Waverly, Comstock steam line replacement ongoing

Rachel Gilbert | Feature Editor

Work to flatten the grade along University Place for the promenade is currently ongoing.

Work on the University Place promenade continues as fill is placed in the road in front of Bird Library to flatten the grade along the promenade, said Pete Sala, vice president and chief campus facilities officer, in a construction update sent to the Syracuse University community on Monday.

Sala said in the email that plinth construction along University Place continues and the storm drainage piping is 80 percent complete.

The University Place promenade is a part of the Campus Framework. The university released a 42-page draft of the Campus Framework on June 20, detailing plans for the physical SU campus over the next 20 years.

In addition, he said the curbing has been installed in the Quad 2 Parking Lot — which is part of the construction for the University Place promenade — and the asphalt binder course has been placed. Pouring of the concrete sidewalks between Lyman and Smith halls started last week and will continue this week. Final paving will be done before the lot is reopened in late July.

Over the summer, SU is working on completing more than 120 campus construction projects. Here are the other construction updates Sala included in his email:

Brewster/Boland/Brockway Complex electrical service replacement: Van Buren Street near BBB remains closed until July 29. Excavation and duct bank construction have been completed along the east edge of the stadium parking lot. Sala said in the email that the university’s contractor is now performing the excavation to install the duct bank across Van Buren Street.

Crouse College sloped glazing and masonry improvements: Sala said in the email that the contractor continues to work to repair the skylights in Crouse College to resolve an existing leak. The contractor also started masonry repairs on the demi-dome areas of the building last week. More work may be required next summer “to maintain the beautiful façade of the structure built in 1889,” Sala said in the email.

Crouse-Hinds Hall air handler replacement: Work on the replacement of the air handler in Crouse-Hinds Hall has begun. Sala said in the email that the contractor has started demolition of the existing air handler and is preparing for the new air handler in the seventh floor mechanical room. The new air handler will be raised to the roof early in the fall semester.

DellPlain Hall: Bathroom renovation work continues on schedule. This work includes new windows and renovations to accessible restrooms on every floor of the residence hall.

Grant Auditorium elevator: A modernization upgrade to this elevator has been ongoing since early July. The project is scheduled to be complete in early August.

Quad improvements: Improvements to the Quad are almost done. The construction fence around the Quad will be removed July 25 — a few days later than originally stated.

Roof replacement updates: The following roof replacements have been completed: the Schine Student Center Dining Wing, Newhouse II, Iocolano-Petty Football Wing of Manley Field House, David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics (White Hall), Link Hall and Heroy Geology Building. Flanagan Gymnasium’s roof will be complete by July 25. Some minimal contractor presence will be on these roofs until late July. Replacement of the commissary roof on South Campus is scheduled in August.

Sims Hall stair replacement: The two north stairs at Sims Hall are currently being replaced at the same time, with walks and site stairs having been removed.

Steam line replacement at Waverly Avenue/Comstock Avenue: During the excavation of the steam line, Sala said in the email, the contractor’s crew noted the existing 30-inch and 8-inch water mains are in need of minor repairs. The City Water Department successfully completed the repair work on the 8-inch water main last Wednesday. On Monday, SU’s contractor is scheduled to repair the 30-inch water main, which will take about eight to 12 hours. During this time, water service to Watson, Kimmel and Marion halls will be unavailable. The steam line project is on schedule for completion in early August.

Washington Arms first floor renovation: Renovation work continues on schedule and is about 65 percent done. The interior work includes a reconfiguration to create new student rooms and a fully accessible student room. The exterior work, which is 45 percent done, includes rebuilding a new retaining wall and concrete stair replacement. New landscaping will be installed upon completion of the project.

Women’s Building studio: The project to improve the studio inside the Women’s Building includes a new accessible ramp, which has been constructed on the south end of the space. New ceiling and light fixture installation has been completed. Painting and wood wall paneling refinishing started two weeks ago. The new Harlequin dance floor will be installed the last week of July.