Gender and Sexuality

Lansat: SU’s sororities should ‘lean in’ to women’s empowerment

Women in Students Advocating Sexual Safety and Empowerment stand on stage in Hendricks Chapel and prepare for the 2015 run of “The Vagina Monologues.” The play, written by Eve Ensler, is meant to bring women together and give performers a platform to discuss their experiences as women.

Seeing feminist role models come together to make the world a better place can change the way other women look and interact with one another on a day-to-day basis.

Featuring celebrities Lena Dunham, Kerry Washington, Emma Watson, Serena Williams and Syracuse University’s own Megyn Kelly, Lean In’s latest campaign “Together Women Can” calls on women to come together and support one another in their communities, classrooms and offices. Taking notes from the book “Lean In” by Facebook CEO Sheryl Sandberg, the initiative shifts the conversation from what women can’t do to what they can accomplish as a means of encouraging women to pursue their professional and personal goals.

A school like SU, where Greek life is so prominent, can benefit from Lean In’s crucial message. On SU’s campus, there is a shadow culture of tension among students in Greek life. Not only are women in sororities almost entirely removed from non-Greek affiliated women, but sorority houses feel socially distant from one another. Lean In’s idea of women lifting up other women should have deeper roots on the Hill to strengthen peer relationships and help SU students successfully enter the next phase of their life.

Lean In strives to give courage to women by putting modern feminist icons front and center in its campaign. The common thread throughout each woman’s story is that they came by their success with a combination of raw talent, motivation and importantly, help from other women. As students struggling with their identity or finding their way in college, it’s crucial that we’re reminded of the strong women we can become as we grow in our academic, personal and professional lives. What’s more is that SU can benefit from having a Lean In chapter or affiliation on campus as a visible space for women’s nourishment and unity.

Going into college, joining a sorority was very appealing to me for these same reasons. With 24 sororities currently active on campus, I liked the idea of being a part of something larger than myself and making connections that stem far beyond SU. From the start, participating in Greek life made the transition into college easier: knowing that wherever I looked I would find a friend has helped me feel less alone. Now, I know I have made friendships that will stand the tests of time and bonds that can never be broken.

Even from a professional standpoint, Greek life boosts the chances of finding job opportunities or earning solid recommendations from college friends and classmates. And when there is still a 21 percent wage gap between men and women — with women on average making 79 cents to every man’s dollar made according to the U.S. Department of Labor — having the support of your Greek family makes all the difference for women starting up their careers.

But the sisterhood gained from joining a singular house should extend across the Greek system. These strong relationships are confined within the walls of my sorority and don’t reach all women within the network— something the Lean In campaign could change if its principles were applied to student life. Women in the SU community should understand the significance of helping one another succeed and join one another in the fight toward equality — whether that’s in their professional or social life.

Justina DeMott, assistant director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs at SU, works with students involved in Greek life to develop conflict resolution, time management and leadership skills. As an adviser and mediator to conflict among fraternities and sororities organizations, DeMott highlighted the importance of solidarity among women in the Greek system.

“It is especially important that women work together, build relationships and connections, and understand that we all have similar struggles and deserve respect,” DeMott said in an email.

One tangible part of the Lean In campaign that can be implemented at SU is the creation of Circles — social and professional networking groups based on location, interests and causes. Out of the 28,000 Circles in 141 countries, three of the Circles listed on Lean In’s website are located in Syracuse: Lean In CNY, Women in Dentistry and Lean In Syracuse. Ithaca has one Lean In chapter and two Circles — one of the Circles and the chapter being at Cornell University, an SU peer institution. Rochester has 10 Circles and Albany has 11.

This concept can be brought to SU’s campus with the purpose of bringing together women from different sororities together over interests outside of the social ones that stem from Greek life. And that’s why the principles of the Lean In campaign and the chapters themselves have real potential to blossom on SU’s campus: it would fill the void of much-needed collaboration among women. As DeMott noted, a shift in mentality of the women involved in Greek could have lasting and far-reaching implications.

“With respect, acceptance, encouragement and cooperation, we are able to create not only a better Greek community, but a better campus and international community,” DeMott said.

Whether this process involves diving into the Lean In campaign or taking internal steps to repair the Greek system, it’s crucial that SU women work toward bridging the gaps across gender as well eliminating the tensions among one another.

As Beyoncé once said, “Who run the world?” Girls.

Myelle Lansat is a junior magazine journalism major and policy studies minor. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected].