Football Recruiting

Syracuse football recruiting: 2016 RB signee Jo-El Shaw to attend Lackawanna College instead of SU

Syracuse football signee Jo-El Shaw will play for Lackawanna College instead of the Orange this fall, a source from Lackawanna confirmed to The Daily Orange Tuesday morning.

The Lackawanna football Twitter account welcomed Shaw to the program at 8:05 a.m. Tuesday but it was unclear why he wouldn’t be joining SU anymore. The source said, that while he hasn’t seen Shaw’s transcript yet, anytime Lackawanna gets a player who is signed to a Power 5 school it is almost always because of academics. Then, the player comes to Lackawanna to try and get the required 2.5 grade point average, the source said, before continuing onto Division I.

Shaw signed his letter of intent to Syracuse in February and was scheduled to begin practicing with the team in August. The running back totaled 1,278 yards on the ground and 21 touchdowns for Woodland Hills (Pennsylvania) High School while sharing the backfield with Penn State signee Miles Sanders.

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound Shaw, who would’ve presumably played in a power-back role for Syracuse, was originally headed to Western Michigan but SU running backs coach Mike Hart (who previously coached the position at WMU) reeled in Shaw for the Orange.